• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I declare my missing daughter dead to be able to collect her life insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

judy1214

My daughter disappeared seven years ago. Her disappearance is presumed to be abduction, since her car was found with the keys in it and evidence that she was not the one driving it. Her body was never found. There has been no action on her bank accounts or credit cards, and uncashed child support checks were still in the car. How can I have her declared legally dead and make the insurance company pay for accidental or death by unnatural causes so I can collect the insurance money for her now twelve year old son? Also, can I pay for any attorney's fees out of this policy, since he is a minor and is the sole beneficiary?

D

don62

I would start by contacting the insurance company. They probably have certain documentation they need such as police reports etc. They probably have a time period requirement but I think seven years would be enough.

ALawyer

Each state has its own laws regarding the presumption of death, and while 7 years is the avarage number of years, the number does vary and the process for declaration varies too.

Contacting the insurance company is a good way to start -- they probably will be helpful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">