• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I extend my stay with a (B1/B2 visa)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Senior Member
He didn't say "studying medicine" he said "going to medical school." Medical schools are distinct from residency. You do residency at a hospital.

Even so, a B visa is NOT appropriate for a residency. That would typically require a J-1 visa.


Senior Member
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
I’m Egyptian Living here in the USA going to Medical School. and I’m here by B1/B2 visa and My I-94 will end on 22nd of April and I want to make sure that what’s going on nowadays. would be an acceptable reason to extend my stay for another 6 months without risking any issues with My visa entry.
Thank you
It appears non-immigrant visas are being routinely extended

"United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will 'favourably' receive and accommodate extension applications to Non-Immigrant Visa holders," a senior Department of Homeland Security official told ANI.”


Senior Member
The problem is what he LEGALLY needs is not an extension of his B1/B2 visa so he can illegally attend classes. He needs to adjust his status to one that allows you to pursue the medical course. The problem is that I have strong suspect he didn't enter legally if he came with the intent to attend medical school. I would suggest if he can't find an immigration attorney on his own, that his school likely has an international student office that can help.

Alternatively, he can go over to the Immigration forums at immihelp.com/forums where he'll get answers without a whole lot of disinformation noise.


You need to speak with the DSO at the international student office at your institution or the human resources office at your work location.

Studying is done on F-1; residencies are frequently J-1. I understand some "observerships" or review courses can be done on B-2. Your description of your activities here is too confusing to figure out what the most likely status you should have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential