• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I find out who the BEST lawyer is?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justaguyguy

Hey all,

My case has been going on since December and to keep it short, I was falsely accused of aggravated domestic assault. It’s ruining my life and the gloves are off. That is irrelevant for this post, however, I want to know how I find the BEST lawyer money can buy. These sites like ‘avvo’ should get sued because they generate fake reviews and mislead people doin their research to obtain quality council. Does someone have a website or know the method by which to find the best there is? Thank you.

quincy

Hey all,

My case has been going on since December and to keep it short, I was falsely accused of aggravated domestic assault. It’s ruining my life and the gloves are off. That is irrelevant for this post, however, I want to know how I find the BEST lawyer money can buy. These sites like ‘avvo’ should get sued because they generate fake reviews and mislead people doin their research to obtain quality council. Does someone have a website or know the method by which to find the best there is? Thank you.
To find the best lawyer money can buy check to see who the richest people have hired for a similar offense.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Hey all,
Does someone have a website or know the method by which to find the best there is? Thank you.
It is important to understand that there is really no way to determine which one lawyer is the absolute best for a given case or even the best in a particular area of law. There are lawyers who are generally known to be quite good, and you would want to find out which lawyers have that reputation. What you will end up with is a list of several lawyers, though, not just one name that everyone thinks is the best.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please also keep in mind that even if you contract with an absolutely stellar attorney, there's a chance that you and s/he just won't "click", and your experience can still be poor.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Given your posting hx, I am glad that you are interested in finding a good lawyer.

I concur with your assessment of Avvo. I know someone with high ratings/endorsements on Avvo who is a complete idiot, and whose practice of law is farcical.

Ask around for other people's recommendations and experiences with lawyers in your community. Get a few initial consults. Do more research than you would if, say, buying a house or car - since in your case, it's a whole lot more important.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Given your posting hx, I am glad that you are interested in finding a good lawyer.

I concur with your assessment of Avvo. I know someone with high ratings/endorsements on Avvo who is a complete idiot, and whose practice of law is farcical.

Ask around for other people's recommendations and experiences with lawyers in your community. Get a few initial consults. Do more research than you would if, say, buying a house or car - since in your case, it's a whole lot more important.
AVVO ranks people by how much the attorney pays them. I know because they keep calling here asking me pay them xxxx a month to be first among searches.

The best way to find counsel is go to the Bar Association or Supreme Court of your state after getting a few friendly recommendations and looking up whether the attorney has been disciplined or sanctioned. And then research for what they were disciplined or sanctioned. You also want to ask questions of the counsel -- interview them -- but the worst question you can ask? What is your win/loss ratio -- because that says nothing. Some attorneys may have "wins" that on first blush don't appear to be wins -- having a client sentenced to 10 years in prison when they were facing 30 for instance. What you want to ask is how they would handle your case and the relative time line. You also don't want an attorney that guarantees you a win or that you will get what you want.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
AVVO ranks people by how much the attorney pays them. I know because they keep calling here asking me pay them xxxx a month to be first among searches.

The best way to find counsel is go to the Bar Association or Supreme Court of your state after getting a few friendly recommendations and looking up whether the attorney has been disciplined or sanctioned. And then research for what they were disciplined or sanctioned. You also want to ask questions of the counsel -- interview them -- but the worst question you can ask? What is your win/loss ratio -- because that says nothing. Some attorneys may have "wins" that on first blush don't appear to be wins -- having a client sentenced to 10 years in prison when they were facing 30 for instance. What you want to ask is how they would handle your case and the relative time line. You also don't want an attorney that guarantees you a win or that you will get what you want.
Explains a lot. They're also not too fussy about who can "claim" one of their entries - I saw one claimed by someone whose photo was *clearly* not that of the attorney. (Unless there was both sex and race reassignment!)

FlyingRon

As with many personal services such as this, the best way to evaluate them is REFERENCES, preferably from someone you trust.

Barring, that, I'd like to see someone locally who has a lot of experience in the particular court you are appearing with, possibly with former prosecutorial experience in addition to a track record as a defense counsel.

If you have a good relationship with any attorney (one whose specialty is not defense work), they often know other attorneys and can make an informed referral.

Justaguyguy

Great stuff, thank you. The Lawyers I have had so far have demonstrated a lack of confidence in expressing success in a jury trial situation. In my case, there is ZERO proof of anything taking place. It’s literally my word vs the soon to be ex-wife’s and No one was physically touched whatsoever. The subpoenaed Police officers have testified all over the place. It seems like the right guy would be hungry for this case and that’s what I’m looking for. Thanks for the info!

Justaguyguy

Based on the fact that they knowingly manipulate data that sends customers to idiotic legal counsel, which ultimately costs clients/ customers thousands of dollars, and devastating outcomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">