• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I fix this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? NJ

Ok, my ex-husband received custody of our two daughters while living in Virginia. Juristiction used to be here, but is now in Virginia. My visitation was limited because of my fiancee. Apparently he had done something when he was 15 yrs old (he is now 36) that was put in his DYFS records that made them not want him around my daughters. What can I do to prove that he is not what they are making him out to be. He made one mistake when he was 15 and is now being labled for the rest of his life. His DYFS records only had the one problem and then the case was closed. There was never any reason to reopen it. When I go down to VA to visit my daughters, my ex has no problem letting me take them for the weekend as long as my fiancee is not with me. I want it so my daughters can be allowed around him. I want visitation changed so they can at least spend one month out of the summer with us, and every other Xmas. But I can't do that until I can clear his name. How do I do that?

I also have a 3 yr old daughter with my fiancee, and I would love for my daughters to meet their sister.
Last edited:


Senior Member
No one knows what it is that you are trying to "fix". I understand your hesitation in providing details, but if you want correct answers, you will have to.


Senior Member
LNJ1204 said:
Do I get him (my fiancee) a psychiatric evaluation? Can't anyone help? I'm still in NJ
chill out, you posted 20 minutes ago, the people on this forum act as volunteers. And no one is just going to jump in and answer until they are sure they are giving you correct information.


Under the Radar Member
I have to agree - not knowing what it is he did makes it more difficult to give you any reasonable input. It's one thing if he had sex with his 15yo g/f, another if he molested a small child. I would suggest that you give serious thought to speaking with a local attorney - s/he will be better able to assess the importance of your fiance's past wrt your children with your ex as well as your child with the fiance. It is not unheard of for DYFS to remove a child from the mother if she insists on associating with a sex offender - even if he is the child's father.

At the end of the day, you may have to choose between him and your kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential