• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I gain control of my SSDI?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HelenOtil0324

Home state Montana
I’m a 48 year old college graduate and worked all my life until I was injured and can no longer work. I applied for and now receive SSDI. Per the court decision I need a Payee Rep to control my finances. My brother is a real tyrant and even when it’s his fault for a late payment, actually pays me back with my own money (instead of its own even though it should pay with its own money), saying the bank “auto-pay” didn’t work this month, which I know is just a blatant lie. This is just one example of how it takes care of my money. It also won’t pay off debts as I ask, just lets them linger even though I know the money is there! My question is: HOW do I gain control of my finances? I know after these few years I’d do a better job of handling my finances that IT does. This is completely unfair, and is so depressing.

quincy

You cannot rely on any information you receive on an Internet forum. For legal information and advice to rely on, you will need to consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your own jurisdiction.

quincy

Okay thanks. I’ll work on finding an attorney. I appreciate your forthrightness.
I hope you can get a payee representative who will manage well your finances for you.

I am sorry you suffered such a severe injury. I wish you the best.

LdiJ

Home state Montana
I’m a 48 year old college graduate and worked all my life until I was injured and can no longer work. I applied for and now receive SSDI. Per the court decision I need a Payee Rep to control my finances. My brother is a real tyrant and even when it’s his fault for a late payment, actually pays me back with my own money (instead of its own even though it should pay with its own money), saying the bank “auto-pay” didn’t work this month, which I know is just a blatant lie. This is just one example of how it takes care of my money. It also won’t pay off debts as I ask, just lets them linger even though I know the money is there! My question is: HOW do I gain control of my finances? I know after these few years I’d do a better job of handling my finances that IT does. This is completely unfair, and is so depressing.
What was the SSA's rationale for you needing a rep payee in the first place? You would need to convince the SSA that you no longer need a rep payee or never needed one in the first place.

quincy

Because I sustained a brain injury, short term memory gone, long term memory 100%
What was the SSA's rationale for you needing a rep payee in the first place? You would need to convince the SSA that you no longer need a rep payee or never needed one in the first place.
Brain injury, perhaps?

I agree that there would need to be a demonstrable change in the condition that led to the court’s original requirement for a payee representative, or good support for the change of payee representative from brother to someone more responsible.

Consultation with an attorney in Montana would be smart.

(several posts have been deleted from this thread by Helen, by the way)

Last edited:

Just Blue

Brain injury, perhaps?

I agree that there would need to be a demonstrable change in the condition that led to the court’s original requirement for a payee representative, or good support for the change of payee representative from brother to someone more responsible.

Consultation with an attorney in Montana would be smart.

(several posts have been deleted from this thread by Helen, by the way)
I was wondering where they went.

Janke

Home state Montana

Do you have a treating doctor? What does the doctor say about managing your own money? There is a form that your doctor can complete, SSA 787, which you can use when you apply to be your own payee.

Do you have other caring family members or friends who are willing to take on this job?

There should be at least one bonded payee agency in your local area that will manage your money for a small monthly fee. These agencies are held to a higher standard than individuals and are audited often. Contact SSA for a list.

You are not required to keep your brother as your representative payee, even if you have to have a payee. SSA can make these changes, but not quickly. It is probably already too late to change payees for June and since offices are closed to the public, you will have to get a telephone appointment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">