• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get a support order changed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Overwhelmed Dad

Me and my wife live in Pennsylvania. The Custody order was for two of her kids that went to see their biological dad in California. He only had 1 of the kids for 1 month and the other for 2 months. Our problem is that we have long since had the kids back, but the California DA still has her order for support piling up. The amount is over $5000 now and they have even intercepted our most recent tax return. How and what do we do to get this changed and get our tax return back without having to go to California.....we just can't afford the trip????


Senior Member
you need to file a modification to the support order. since the children are living with you, then you should not be paying support to him.

you will have to do this in California. you can either fly there yourself and do it or you can retain a lawyer to get it done.

if you do not file the modification, the arrears will keep piling up. until it is modified, you are financially responsible to pay the support order. there are ramifications that include loss of license and professional licenses (if you have any), the possiblility of seizure and sale of property. just examples.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential