• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get divorced?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JesB

What is the name of your state? I'm in SC

I am having trouble finding my husband... I have not heard or seen from him in almost a year.. None of his family members (including his 3 kids) have heard from him in the same amount of time... After extensive searches I cannot figure out where he has relocated to. I only know that he is in this country as he is unable to obtain a passport because he is over 100k behind on his child support. I want to get divorced but cannot serve him. I need him to show up in person as he has everything that I own (I left with a suitcase full of clothes and nothing more). Even with public notice I need to know at least near where he resides... any suggestions?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? I'm in SC

I am having trouble finding my husband... I have not heard or seen from him in almost a year.. None of his family members (including his 3 kids) have heard from him in the same amount of time... After extensive searches I cannot figure out where he has relocated to. I only know that he is in this country as he is unable to obtain a passport because he is over 100k behind on his child support. I want to get divorced but cannot serve him. I need him to show up in person as he has everything that I own (I left with a suitcase full of clothes and nothing more). Even with public notice I need to know at least near where he resides... any suggestions?
Realistically, if he has disappeared that thoroughly, I doubt that he took your personal property with him. Your personal property is probably long gone by now.

You really need an attorney.

JesB

Thank you .... I realize that most of my items are gone and roumor has it through family that his siter is hilding the rest but she will not turn these items over.. Some of this cannot be replaced (military uniforms... accomidations... childhood items...) stuff that I's pretty sure hasn't been sold off. I'm doing all that I can to be able to afford a lawyer but I'm a waitress in a tourist town and what I make in the winter bairly puts food in my mouth let alone pay for a lawyers retainer. Plus I have crazy doctors bills. I guess that I'll just keep trying to save up money.. Another question though... Is there a time frame in which married couples are not together where the marriage is automatically considered disolved?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you .... I realize that most of my items are gone and roumor has it through family that his siter is hilding the rest but she will not turn these items over..

Prove that sister is hiding the rest and you can go after her in small claims court.

Some of this cannot be replaced (military uniforms... accomidations... childhood items...) stuff that I's pretty sure hasn't been sold off.
Okay. So sue the sister in small claims court.

I'm doing all that I can to be able to afford a lawyer but I'm a waitress in a tourist town and what I make in the winter bairly puts food in my mouth let alone pay for a lawyers retainer.
Have you tried legal aid?

Plus I have crazy doctors bills.
Have you looked at medicaid?
I guess that I'll just keep trying to save up money..
OKay.

Another question though... Is there a time frame in which married couples are not together where the marriage is automatically considered disolved?
ONLY if he dies or you die does the marriage end without a court order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">