• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get my money back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ewilliams2001

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Arizona
I am trying to buy a horse for eventing (flat work and jumping). I saw an ad for a horse on the internet, listed as eventing prospect, for $7500. I went to look at the horse, but did not think the horse would be sound for jumping. The owner assured me he was and told me lots of other lies about him. She has 30 horses, and said that her husband was insisting that she get rid of 10 of them. So she was willing to take $2500 for the horse. I wanted to get a prepurchase exam done on the horse, and she agreed that I could bring him home for the weekend to schedule one (I first saw the horse on Thursday). We both signed a contract that said I would give her a cashier's check for $2500, in case I was in an accident and the horse was injured, but that she would return the check if the horse did not pass the vet exam on Monday and I returned him. The horse did not pass, and the exam indicated he would never be able to be ridden steadily and stay sound. When I returned him, the owner said his pacing the fence in my yard on Saturday caused him to be so lame that her vet said he needed pasture rest for 4 to 6 months, so I must consider him mine. She now has the horse and my money, and is trying to force me to come get the horse. It is clear that she misrepresented the horse. Is this a case for small claims court (I spent over $400 on the vet exam with transportation) or should I hire an attorney and try to recover all of my losses?

BelizeBreeze

ewilliams2001 said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Arizona
I am trying to buy a horse for eventing (flat work and jumping). I saw an ad for a horse on the internet, listed as eventing prospect, for $7500. I went to look at the horse, but did not think the horse would be sound for jumping. The owner assured me he was and told me lots of other lies about him. She has 30 horses, and said that her husband was insisting that she get rid of 10 of them. So she was willing to take $2500 for the horse. I wanted to get a prepurchase exam done on the horse, and she agreed that I could bring him home for the weekend to schedule one (I first saw the horse on Thursday). We both signed a contract that said I would give her a cashier's check for $2500, in case I was in an accident and the horse was injured, but that she would return the check if the horse did not pass the vet exam on Monday and I returned him. The horse did not pass, and the exam indicated he would never be able to be ridden steadily and stay sound. When I returned him, the owner said his pacing the fence in my yard on Saturday caused him to be so lame that her vet said he needed pasture rest for 4 to 6 months, so I must consider him mine. She now has the horse and my money, and is trying to force me to come get the horse. It is clear that she misrepresented the horse. Is this a case for small claims court (I spent over $400 on the vet exam with transportation) or should I hire an attorney and try to recover all of my losses?
The limit in Arizona for small claims is $1,750. Your entire claim is $2,900 so no, you can't take this to small claims.

File against her in civil court for a total of $10,500 which includes puntative damages and legal fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">