• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Do I Get My Vehicle Back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pittpaeskimo

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

MY HUSBAND AND I SOLD OUR VAN TO A FRIEND OF OURS. SHE SIGNED A PAPER AGREEING TO PAY $500 DOWN....AND $100/WEEK UNTIL IT WAS PAID OFF. SHE HAS ONLY MADE ONE PAYMENT OF $500 SINCE APRIL 1ST! IVE CALLED HER CONSTANTLY AND SHE GIVES ME THE WOE IS ME STORY. AT FIRST I JUST THOUGHT SHE RAN INTO SOME BAD LUCK AND I WAS SYMPATHETIC, BUT NOW, SHE WON'T EVEN RETURN MY PHONE CALLS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PROCEDURE IS IN GETTING MY VAN BACK OR MY MONEY! PLEASE HELP.

SINCERELY, PITTPAESKIMO

CdwJava

Who holds the registration and/or title to the car? If it is entirely in your name - without any release of liability to the buyer - then you MAY be okay to just get in and drive it away. (Check with an attorney on this one first. Laws in your state may differ from mine.)

Or, take her to small claims court.

- Carl

pcmanjon

pittpaeskimo said:
pennsylvania

she lost the title, but it is in her roommates name.
Why did you ever sign the title over if they hadn't completed payments for the car? Title = proof of ownership

Wouldn't anyone selling a car on a pre-arranged payment basis wish to actually own/control the car until payments are complete? I know I would have.

This is why dealers etc hold the title until AFTER you pay off the car!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">