• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get refunded on a misshipped package?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raiderzfan023

I recently moved into an apartment complex and this is my first time living in a shared complex so I did not know how to order a package. When I ordered a package, I left out the apartment number as there was no space provided for it and I did not know that this was necessary. The package coincidentally got lost in the mail and now the website is refusing to claim responsibility, even though their terms and conditions explicitly state that they are responsible for the product until delivery, just because I didn't post an apartment number. I have spoken with my apartment office and they have told me that any package ordered without an apartment number would be shipped to them without a problem. In their terms and conditions, nowhere does it specify that an apartment number is necessary though this could be a universal requirement. Right now they are saying that they are not responsible, is there anything that I can do? Are they breaching contract? Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Proserpina

I recently moved into an apartment complex and this is my first time living in a shared complex so I did not know how to order a package. When I ordered a package, I left out the apartment number as there was no space provided for it and I did not know that this was necessary. The package coincidentally got lost in the mail and now the website is refusing to claim responsibility, even though their terms and conditions explicitly state that they are responsible for the product until delivery, just because I didn't post an apartment number. I have spoken with my apartment office and they have told me that any package ordered without an apartment number would be shipped to them without a problem. In their terms and conditions, nowhere does it specify that an apartment number is necessary though this could be a universal requirement. Right now they are saying that they are not responsible, is there anything that I can do? Are they breaching contract? Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.
We only deal with US law .

But if you gave the wrong address, or missing information, it's not their fault.

I don't know where you are but it's just common sense that they need your apartment number. It's part of your address.

FlyingRon

If it was shipped by common carrier (UPS, FEDEX) or even USPS you can certainly file a loss/misdelivery report with them.

If you ordered by credit card, contact your issuer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If it was shipped by common carrier (UPS, FEDEX) or even USPS you can certainly file a loss/misdelivery report with them.
Generally, the shipper needs to file this.

If you ordered by credit card, contact your issuer.
Good point. However, if the shipping mistake was the OP's, the issuer may be reluctant to reverse the charge. Doesn't hurt to try...

RayAustin

If they shipped to the wrong address. You can confirm from retailers where your order was shipped. You can contact them on their address. But if you give them wrong address then its not the fault of the retailers.

quincy

If they shipped to the wrong address. You can confirm from retailers where your order was shipped. You can contact them on their address. But if you give them wrong address then its not the fault of the retailers.
Although given the user name, it appears raiderzfan is located in the US, s/he has not returned to the forum in a month to make this known.

In addition, it could be that, after a month, raiderzfan has already located the missing package or followed the advice previously given. The problem s/he came to the forum to ask about could no longer be an issue.

In other words, you might want to look at a thread's posting date, RayAustin. The older the posting date, the less likely that any advice offered will be of benefit to the original poster.

Just Blue

DO NOT post to an OLD thread!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">