• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get the pictures from a traffic light camera?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania.

This is specifically for Philadelphia - and relates to my posting about being wrongfully blamed in an auto accident at https://forum.freeadvice.com/auto-accidents-vehicle-claims-1/wrongfully-blamed-accident-cop-now-what-567690.html

Ok, so I've gone through the issues with that - but, thanks to someone else's sharp eyes, we've found what appears to be a camera on one of the traffic lights at the intersection in question. At least, we're hoping that's what it is.

Assuming that there is a camera, which I would guess snaps pictures when red lights are run, what is the proper way to request this?

My girlfriend's insurance company refuses to try. They claim that lawyers and subpoenas are needed in order to get that information.

Is this true? If not, then what is the proper way to get the pics to prove that the other driver ran the red light?

Many thanks in advance...

swalsh411

The officer's opinion of who caused the accident is not a slam dunk that you will lose. My advice of "So she contests the ticket based on her claim that she had the green light." is still valid.

Assuming that a person did run a red light camera then that person would be issued a ticket. The ticket should include a picture. The ticket is public.

So go look and see if a ticket was issued.

ecmst12 - my apologies - wasn't sure if I should post this question about the camera in the same thread or separately.

swalsh411 - we absolutely intend to do as you suggest.

Captain Picard - thanks, we'll look into that as well. If they weren't, we may well issue tickets of our own to the other driver.

But, the issues about the accident and fault aside, what I'm looking for now is what process do we have to do in order to access the camera.

It's perhaps a bit of a mixed bag, as it's not a traffic light camera per se, but a videocamera that continuously records, and does a sweep, pointing first down one of the streets, then the other.

How do we get this recording? Say, narrowed down to a 20 minute approximate time frame or so...

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
How do we get this recording? Say, narrowed down to a 20 minute approximate time frame or so...
Find out what agency operates the camera - is it the police? Highway/traffic department? etc.

Then call them and ask what you need to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">