• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get visitation rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shansp

What is the name of your state? ohio:
I want to know how to go about getting visitation of my 4 month old son.He lives with his mom and we were never married.I want to be a part of his life but his mom won't let me,

H

hexeliebe

Have you done anything through the courts yet, such as support or custody? You're going to have to give a little more information'

S

shansp

I have had a paternaty test done and i go for a support hearing on january 20th.but that is all that has been done,so far i dont know where to go from there

Last edited:
H

hexeliebe

Then you go first thing in the morning and file a petition for custody and visitation (two separate petitions) and ask they be heard with the support petition.

You don't get anything without asking. And a petition for visitation asks the court to allow you to see your child.

Or better still, pay a few hundred dollars and ask an attorney to draft the petitions for you.

S

shansp

your right i will give that a try and go from there thanx.but i am always open to more thoughts

M

milomeatman72

I would hurry up on filing for those two petitions make sure to file for JOINT CUSTODY do not give her Sole custody whatever you do. Also be sure to get visitations normally the judge will give visitations every other weekend, but if you can do more ask for more. It does help to have a lawyer. Is the mother fighting with you not too see your kid or anything?

S

shansp

The mother said that her attorney told her not to let me have anything to do with my son until a court ordered her to do so

H

hexeliebe

Unfortunately, that's part of the game and although it's disgusting and hurts only the child, you have to play.

So did you file?

H

hexeliebe

Good. Come back and let us know how it's going.

And good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">