• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I insure that a corporate trustee know I've passed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrRational

We're just getting started with estate planning.
We don't have kids, and I don't want any greedy relatives to know the content of the will, or have access to it. I'm concerned that they might destroy it to get a better deal from us being intestate.
How would a corporate trustee know that we're "gone" so that my trust can be executed as specified?

We're just getting started with estate planning.
We don't have kids, and I don't want any greedy relatives to know the content of the will, or have access to it. I'm concerned that they might destroy it to get a better deal from us being intestate.
How would a corporate trustee know that we're "gone" so that my trust can be executed as specified?
A will and a trust are two different things. Which do you want to know about?

MrRational

A will and a trust are two different things. Which do you want to know about?
I suppose both.
I've heard it suggested that a trust is better because it avoids probate court, but there should also be a will to cover anything that might have been left out of the trust.

I also thought of a related question since posting.
What is the process to "get the ball rolling" on having a will or trust executed once a person dies?
My first thought was that the executor/trustee would take some kind of action, but isn't that person or entity named in the will?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
For clarity, can we assume you are still in CA (as per your other, prior posts?)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">