• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I modify custody and support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I live in Arkansas and my ex lives in Texas. Divorce took place in Texas in 99. In the papers I have physical custody of one child and him one child. He pays me support and I pay him support. The difference goes to pay off a so called debt to him. The child that was living with him now lives with me and the ex's income has increased quite a bit. How do I go about getting custody and child support modifed? Do I have to go through Texas since the divorce originally took place there? How can I go about this without it costing a lot of money, since I have none?



How long have both children lived with you?
If it has been long enough then you can request a change of venue. If this is granted the you file for modifcation of support and custody. I have done this it is long and can be painful. Call the courts in your area and ask if they have a Pro Se office or legal aid, they may be able to help you get the paper work going.
Good Luck and document everything!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential