• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I press charges on my own? Intimate partner abuse...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fiinch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I was assaulted by an intimate partner two months ago, and subsequently, I called the police and made a statement. A subsequent investigation ensued, but my assailant was one step ahead. He hired an attorney in anticipation of charges filed against him, only to find out that my assailant filed charges against ME before the investigation was concluded. He did so through the district commissioner, falsely claiming that I struck him first. Turns out, the states attorney wont take my case because it is being regarded as a mutual combatant situation. I feel totally robbed of justice, and I want to hold this man accountable for nearly strangling me to death. I am wondering:

If I press charges independently through the district commissioner, is my case subject to dismissal through the states attorney like before?

How do I obtain legal representation, given that my assailant will likely file charges against me again?

How do I ensure that my case stays viable overall?

Thank you for any and all help!!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I was assaulted by an intimate partner two months ago, and subsequently, I called the police and made a statement. A subsequent investigation ensued, but my assailant was one step ahead. He hired an attorney in anticipation of charges filed against him, only to find out that my assailant filed charges against ME before the investigation was concluded. He did so through the district commissioner, falsely claiming that I struck him first. Turns out, the states attorney wont take my case because it is being regarded as a mutual combatant situation. I feel totally robbed of justice, and I want to hold this man accountable for nearly strangling me to death. I am wondering:

If I press charges independently through the district commissioner, is my case subject to dismissal through the states attorney like before?

How do I obtain legal representation, given that my assailant will likely file charges against me again?

How do I ensure that my case stays viable overall?

Thank you for any and all help!!
Unfortunately, you are probably dealing with a lost cause at this point. It sounds to me like he has done this before and has learned the ropes. I hope you are permanently finished with him and will be more careful in the future when choosing a partner.

Silverplum

I agree with Ld.

If you want legal representation, hire an attorney.

ETA: MD is different: http://www.courts.state.md.us/district/forms/criminal/dccr001br.html

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">