• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I prove that I've paid a debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

garcammad

I live in NC. In July I had to take my son to the ER for stitches in his head. When we were admitted, I gave our current address, phone number, and insurance information to the clerk. We're not VIP members of the ER or anything, so I didn't realize we would get billed seperate for the hospital and the doctor. We actually never received a bill from either, only a statement from our insurance company, and we only received the statement from the insurance company for the doctor so there were no red flags that we would get more than one bill.

I went to the hospital last week and asked them how much I owe. They told me I owe the co payment, which is $150, so I pay it right then. As far as I know, all is good. So Friday we get a message on our machine. I call the number back and it's a collection agency. I was still confused at this point so I told her I need to research this and get back to her. She told me that I have until December 18th before it goes on my credit. I go back to the hospital today and that's when I find out that the bill is not from the hospital. The cashier called the doctor's billing office and had me talk to her. I told her that I had never received a bill. Of course she got nasty and started telling me about the bills they had sent. Long story short, the hospital had given them the wrong address. The hospital gets defensive and swears that they gave them the correct address, that the billing office is lying, etc.

Regardless, I didn't get the bill. So I paid her the total amount, which was $454, with a credit card over the phone. I ask her if she'll send something stating that I have paid it in full on this date, and she says no, they won't send anything until it's processed. I asked her how long it takes to process, and she told me at least 2 weeks. At least 2 weeks is pushing my December 18th deadline. I have worked hard to get my credit score to 750, and I don't want it knocked down by something as silly as this. I've called my insurance company, but there's nothing they can do.

My questison is, how do I prove that I paid the bill today? What do I need to do in case my credit gets hit with this mistake?

I live in NC. In July I had to take my son to the ER for stitches in his head. When we were admitted, I gave our current address, phone number, and insurance information to the clerk. We're not VIP members of the ER or anything, so I didn't realize we would get billed seperate for the hospital and the doctor. We actually never received a bill from either, only a statement from our insurance company, and we only received the statement from the insurance company for the doctor so there were no red flags that we would get more than one bill.

I went to the hospital last week and asked them how much I owe. They told me I owe the co payment, which is $150, so I pay it right then. As far as I know, all is good. So Friday we get a message on our machine. I call the number back and it's a collection agency. I was still confused at this point so I told her I need to research this and get back to her. She told me that I have until December 18th before it goes on my credit. I go back to the hospital today and that's when I find out that the bill is not from the hospital. The cashier called the doctor's billing office and had me talk to her. I told her that I had never received a bill. Of course she got nasty and started telling me about the bills they had sent. Long story short, the hospital had given them the wrong address. The hospital gets defensive and swears that they gave them the correct address, that the billing office is lying, etc.

Regardless, I didn't get the bill. So I paid her the total amount, which was $454, with a credit card over the phone. I ask her if she'll send something stating that I have paid it in full on this date, and she says no, they won't send anything until it's processed. I asked her how long it takes to process, and she told me at least 2 weeks. At least 2 weeks is pushing my December 18th deadline. I have worked hard to get my credit score to 750, and I don't want it knocked down by something as silly as this. I've called my insurance company, but there's nothing they can do.

My questison is, how do I prove that I paid the bill today? What do I need to do in case my credit gets hit with this mistake?
I don't know what kind of credit card you used, but you should be able to see where the bill posted to the card online. Most of my cards allow you to click on the transaction, and it will give details. Also, you need to look into this further. If the doctor's office turned it over to their attorney for collection chances are you owe attorney fees.

I don't know how close you are to the doctor's office, but it may worth a visit to the office to pick-up a copy of the c/cd receipt. Also, they should be able to provide you with a receipt or reference number from your payment.

I wish you luck with this.

garcammad

Thank you for your reply. They turned me into a collection agency, not an attorney and their balance due matches the doctor's balance due, so hopefully there will be no additional fees. I'll be able to see the charge once it posts to my credit card, but the problem is they won't post it to my card for at least 2 weeks, so there's no way to prove that I paid it today. I wish I could get a copy of the bill, but they are refusing that as well.

They absolutely CANNOT refuse a detailed statement of charges if they expect to get paid. Call them back, give them a fax number, and DEMAND that a statement, along with receipt of payment, be sent to you immediately!

Do not play nice with these people. Either you DEMAND, or you get nothing, and they get to damage your credit. Do not go to sleep tonight until you have something faxed to you from them stating this has been paid!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">