• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I successfully go about a legal negotiation for a higher settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K.M.

CALIFORNIA

I suffered tendonitis in several parts of both my wrists and forearms, due to my previous job title. I was on Temp. Dis. benefits for about a year and was seen by a great doctor. Fortunately, I didn't require surgery, only physical therapy, cortizone shots, ice, splints, etc. I'm still slowly but surely recovering and my empoyers placed me in a different job position entirely to accommodate my work restrictions. I worked in the kitchen as a Diet Aide before am now an Admin. Asst./Receptionist. My Treating Physician's final report is that I am 'Permanent Stationary' and will most likely require future medical treatment of what I had gone through previously. The W.C. insurance company that is handling my claim, is offering me future medical treatment coverage, or a settlement of $5,000. After personal research into the costs of future medical treatment and considering my current state, I feel it best to take the settlement. Another reason being because I've run into trouble with the insurance co. trying not to give me all that I'm owed and I want to be done with them entirely. However, considering how long I was out of work and how much that cost W.C. in both Temp. Dis. benefits, as well as medical costs - I had X-rays and MRI's done too - I wish to negotiate for a higher settlement of $15,000 to cover all possible future expenses, including possible time off work, as well as being limited in my career options now (I'm 28 and was working towards becoming a librarian, but now I have to put that on hold as I won't be able to complete the requirements in the courses, due to my injury).

adjusterjack

First thing you have to understand is that WC has nothing to do with what you planned to do with your career in the future. It has to do with your ability to do the work you were doing at the time you were injured or developed the work related condition.

You are free to ask for $15,000.

There is no way to predict the outcome.

If the WC adjuster says no, it might be worth consulting a WC attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">