• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I sue a police department or city in a civil suit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? South Carolina
I have been harassed, slandered, threatened by the police and other city departments. I have some video and some audio of the harassment and threats against my life. I need to know how to start the process of going after them to stop the harassment and seek damages.

That doesn't help or come close to helping, also moving doesn't help anything. If it were that easy I would've done it already.

quincy

What is the name of your state? South Carolina
I have been harassed, slandered, threatened by the police and other city departments. I have some video and some audio of the harassment and threats against my life. I need to know how to start the process of going after them to stop the harassment and seek damages.
How were you harassed, threatened and slandered? And why?

PayrollHRGuy

That doesn't help or come close to helping, also moving doesn't help anything. If it were that easy I would've done it already.
Is your actual question "How do I go about suing a police department or city in a civil suit without a lawyer?"

If so then the answer is you head down the courthouse and file the suit.

If the question is "What are all the steps to sue a police department or city in a civil suit without a lawyer?" then you are out of luck. There are way to many to list.

They would stand at a building near me a yell out and make weird noises and say things like I'm good as dead and having there dogs attack me, all of which I have video and audio of. I heard them accuse me of crimes I've never committed in what seems to be some ploy to run me out of town. As for the why I've never meet or spoke to any of them. They are not the only ones but I can't take all types of random people to court also have audio of that as well. So there reasons are unknown to me but ultimately are false.

Just Blue

They would stand at a building near me a yell out and make weird noises and say things like I'm good as dead and having there dogs attack me, all of which I have video and audio of. I heard them accuse me of crimes I've never committed in what seems to be some ploy to run me out of town. As for the why I've never meet or spoke to any of them. They are not the only ones but I can't take all types of random people to court also have audio of that as well. So there reasons are unknown to me but ultimately are false.
How can you know their reasons are false if you don't know the reason? :confused:

xylene

How does moving out of the jurisdiction not help?

Even if you sue successfully, the problem may not stop. People who experience persistent police harassment move all the time, especially if they have brought legal action which almost invariably intensifies the scrutiny and harassment.

No my question was how to start if I thought a local attorney would be of help I would have contacted them. This is not some isolated incident. I'm just going after the people I have the most evidence against there involvement. I need a lawyer but was looking for some government agencies I could also contact.

quincy

How very strange.

What building did they stand at when they were yelling? What were the weird noises like? The police told their dogs to attack you?

What are your compensable damages?

PayrollHRGuy

So you are saying lots of people including the police stand near at a building near you and yell and make weird noises and make threats against your life? Have you actually seen them do this or do you just hear them?

How does moving out of the jurisdiction not help?

Even if you sue successfully, the problem may not stop. People who experience persistent police harassment move all the time, especially if they have brought legal action which almost invariably intensifies the scrutiny and harassment.
It is not just them this is not localized. I have left the area only to run into the same behavior from people I've never met. There are more than likely stuff on the internet that does not matter where I go the only thing is to fight and show there a consequences to your actions and I will fight for my rights.

Just Blue

It is not just them this is not localized. I have left the area only to run into the same behavior from people I've never met. There are more than likely stuff on the internet that does not matter where I go the only thing is to fight and show there a consequences to your actions and I will fight for my rights.
Please clarify the behavior. Do you mean random persons on the street sic their dogs at you, yell names, and attack you? Do you have any mental illness? If so...Are you currently under treatment?

xylene

I know police harassment is real.
It happens. People don't like someone becuase of something the said in grade school or their dad did 30 years ago...

Is there a police review board in your community / city / county? Sadly mechanisms for reporting police issues are not easy or automatic.

I'm going to some pointed questions. But it is really important, because you need to be able to answer this, and it will come up.

Have you ever been evaluated for psychiatric health problems? Do you have any mental health problems? Have you discussed these incidents of harassment with a psychiatrist or counselor? Are there other people who observed any of these incidents?

I ask this because believing authority figures are persecuting you without an obvious cause can be a serious medical mental health symptom. And it is really common.

You will be asked to rule that out in the course of bringing a case. You should do this before anything else.

PayrollHRGuy

@xylene Don't you think you should have asked the second half of your question before your first half? It might have stopped you from feeding the OPs delusion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">