• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do I terminate spousal support in Oregon (spouse remarried)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blues_freak

From Oregon. Married 15 years, seperated 2, 2 children. I'm paying child support and spousal support. My ex re-married last Saturday, I need to find out the steps to take to terminate the spousal support.

D

dianellen

Stop sendng the checks....

go get a bottle of champagne and call your lawyer. Congratulations!!!

C

CombatTN88

blues_freak said:
From Oregon. Married 15 years, seperated 2, 2 children. I'm paying child support and spousal support. My ex re-married last Saturday, I need to find out the steps to take to terminate the spousal support.
No. You cant terminate spousal support because your wife's new husband has do nothing with your prior marriage. No matter how much her new husband make money, you are still responsible to pay support.

ellencee

blues_freak
If your divorce / alimony order states that you pay alimony until she marries again, then take that evidence to the court and get the OK to stop the payments. If your order to pay alimony does not include that provision, then petition the court for an order to stop paying support.

Gee, CombatTN88, is that a law that you are quoting? If so, I'd like a chance to read it--it could be specific to your state or to certain circumstances, so I don't doubt you--I just want to know where you got that info since most states do provide for stopping alimony when the other party marries.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">