• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do u dismiss an employee for refusing to do a task...?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marszen

How do u dismiss an employee for refusing to do a task that he or she was hired to do?Because that person "claimed" that due to a medical condition they could not stay on their feet.The person has been on the job for less than six months and is not as competent as she professed to be.Must u place that employee in another position at the same salary or offer them the sitting job which pays less?She was sent home due to her "alleged" illness and i want to know how to handle the firing, should she return?
Please respond a.s.a.p or E-mail me at [email protected] Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marszen:
How do u dismiss an employee for refusing to do a task that he or she was hired to do?Because that person "claimed" that due to a medical condition they could not stay on their feet.The person has been on the job for less than six months and is not as competent as she professed to be.Must u place that employee in another position at the same salary or offer them the sitting job which pays less?She was sent home due to her "alleged" illness and i want to know how to handle the firing, should she return?
Please respond a.s.a.p or E-mail me at [email protected] Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Unless you have something in writing from a doctor that says her "feet" problem occurred during those 6 months, then you can fire her for breach of contract for her failure to tell you of this "problem" when she was first interviewed. Write her a letter stating that, upon her return to work, you want a note from her doctor detailing the problem and when the problem started, or how long the employee said she was having the problem. If the problem started during her tenure with your company, and you have more than 20 employees, you will have to "accomodate" her by transfer to another post, or make it so she can do her job without having to stand; e.g., sitting on a high stool. Otherwise, if you are in an "at will" State, send her a Certified letter stating that her job is no longer available, along with any final pay to which she is entitled.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">