• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do you get out of a contract for a Fitness center?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Renee Schultz

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I want to get out of a two year contract that I signed into about four months ago with this fitness center. Is there any way that I can do that? I am not happy with the equipment and they do not have some of the machines or equipment that I need to do my workout routines and I found another gym in my very small town that has everything that would be perfect for me. Is there any possible way that I can get out of this contract. I talked to the owner and she told me she didn't think she could let me out of it. What can I do? Thanks for any advice.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Renee Schultz said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I want to get out of a two year contract that I signed into about four months ago with this fitness center. Is there any way that I can do that? I am not happy with the equipment and they do not have some of the machines or equipment that I need to do my workout routines and I found another gym in my very small town that has everything that would be perfect for me. Is there any possible way that I can get out of this contract. I talked to the owner and she told me she didn't think she could let me out of it. What can I do? Thanks for any advice.

My response:

All of your "excuses" are non-issues. You had an opportunity to inspect the equipment prior to signing. So, it's too late to be discussing those matters.

Since you're obviously an adult, and you signed a contract, there's nothing you can do legally. Of course, you can always breach the contract by failing to pay, and then have collection agencies dunning you, and involving yourself in a potential lawsuit.

But, that's it in a nutshell.

IAAL

R

Renee Schultz

want to get out of contract

There has got to be some kind of loophole that I can go through to get out of this contract. I am just not happy with the gym I am working out in. There is nothing that I can do because I am totally unsatisfied with this place?

JETX

"There has got to be some kind of loophole that I can go through to get out of this contract."

Here are your ONLY options (offered without review of the applicable documents):
1) Make the agreed payments, or
2) Stop making the payments.

If you continue making the payments (in compliance with the contract that YOU signed), be sure to check for any required cancellation notice or automatic renewal.

If you decide to stop making payments, that is called 'breach of contract'. The creditor (gym) will then attempt to collect and when that fails, will turn your account over to a 'debt collector', who will then harass you and put a negative on your credit history. There is also a possibility (slight) that the creditor could sue you and get a judgment against you.... which will then include attorney fees, court costs, etc. All the while, the interest will be accruing.

Those are your ONLY options.... do you really think that the creditor didn't have a good lawyer look at their contract to make sure that there were NOT any 'loopholes' for you???

R

Renee Schultz

Are there any kind of laws that the fitness center owners need to abide to such has how a gym needs to be kept up along with their machines to keep them safe and in good working condition?

N

nickstafford

Most fitness centers have a clause in there contracts about the ability to get out of a contract if you mve outside of a certain miles radius of the center…..ask them if they the clause get a PO box in a different town or get a mail box etc box for 50 bucks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nickstafford said:
Most fitness centers have a clause in there contracts about the ability to get out of a contract if you mve outside of a certain miles radius of the center…..ask them if they the clause get a PO box in a different town or get a mail box etc box for 50 bucks

My response:

Bad suggestion.

A P.O. Box is not a "residence." Their contract would require a lease, and utility bills - - a P.O. Box doesn't get a water bill for that address - a residence does.

IAAL

JETX

nickstafford said:
Also, there is nothing in the writers post to imply that she (or the gym) has moved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">