• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do you inforce a court order??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J Cook

What is the name of your state? My wife and I live in Texas. Her ex-husband lives in California. He has custody of their daughter.

There are ways to enforce us paying him child support but how do we get him to abide by the rest of the court order?

He is suppose to pay half of visitation expenses - He pays none. After we purchase the airline tickets it's 50/50 if he will put her on the plane. (When he doesn't - we have to eat the full ticket price)
He has denied my wife visitation (by not putting their daughter on the plane) and she has to then fly to California to see her daughter (yet another airline ticket). He has also stated that if he doesn't like part of the court order - he will not follow it and if we don't like that, then take him to court.

After several years of this we took him back to court. (My wife is currently in CA appearing in court) After the first day she called and said it doesn't look good. Her ex will keep custody but the judge will make new visitation rules.

Now the ex has already said - "If I don't like the rules - I'm not following them" and has proven this in the past....HOW CAN WE ENFORCE THE NEW COURT ORDER??

Our lawyer pretty much said "Good luck"...................Please Help

LegalBeagle

J Cook said:
What is the name of your state? My wife and I live in Texas. Her ex-husband lives in California. He has custody of their daughter.

There are ways to enforce us paying him child support but how do we get him to abide by the rest of the court order?

He is suppose to pay half of visitation expenses - He pays none. After we purchase the airline tickets it's 50/50 if he will put her on the plane. (When he doesn't - we have to eat the full ticket price)
He has denied my wife visitation (by not putting their daughter on the plane) and she has to then fly to California to see her daughter (yet another airline ticket). He has also stated that if he doesn't like part of the court order - he will not follow it and if we don't like that, then take him to court.

After several years of this we took him back to court. (My wife is currently in CA appearing in court) After the first day she called and said it doesn't look good. Her ex will keep custody but the judge will make new visitation rules.

Now the ex has already said - "If I don't like the rules - I'm not following them" and has proven this in the past....HOW CAN WE ENFORCE THE NEW COURT ORDER??

Our lawyer pretty much said "Good luck"...................Please Help
What you do is keep taking him to court for ignoring court orders. Eventually, a judge gets tired of it and slaps him hard.

J Cook

Been there - Still trying that

We have been back to court numerous times over the past six or seven years - at great expense. Since I don't have a money tree growing in my back yard this option has about worked itself out.

It is also my belief that this is half the problem. As long as the judge dosen't do anything - the more we go to court - the more money goes into the judge, court system and lawyers pockets.

The California court system WILL go after us if we don't make child support payments and they WILL make us pay one way or the other.

Why, oh why, can't they seem to enforce anything else.

D

dyates_mi

Doing it too....

Maybe it is no consulation, but the only way to change what is happening is keep going back to court. The court WILL tire of hearing the same case over and over. If the attorneys cannot help, find another and ask if they could reduce their fees. You might find one that will.

It would seem to me that 50/50 should be spent just as that. Maybe buy a one-way ticket and make him cough up the other one way? There are problems with that too but it might be worth a shot. Everytime he doesn't send them, then send him a certified letter stating that you purchased the tickets and he faild to send them. You then have amunition to go to court and he has no excuses.

I have continued paying child support throughout my ordeal and yes, it is a lot of money but I cannot see not sending it, because the kids did not do this the adults (or just one) did it to hurt the other. It isn't fair that I cannot see them, but it isn't their fault. The only way I can prove whose fault it may be, is to go back to court.

Good Luck I hope it works out for you and your wife, and the kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">