• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how does a bank know about accounts in other banks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dennis77

What is the name of your state? GA

I went to a bank to open a checking account. During that process, the teller asked me if I have an account in another nearby bank, saying that he can see that I have account with that other bank. How it is possible for a bank person to know about my account in another (different) bank?

quincy

I went to a bank to open a checking account. During that process, the teller asked me if I have an account in another nearby bank, saying that he can see that I have account with that other bank. How it is possible for a bank person to know about my account in another (different) bank?
A bank can tell if you have accounts at other banks in a few ways - through the bank’s own transactions with your other bank account, through a credit check, and through a look at your ChexSystems history.

ChexSystems is a consumer reporting agency that tracks customers who have had problem accounts (e.g., bounced checks, unpaid bank fees, frozen accounts).

Although a bank cannot access any details about the activities on other bank accounts, a bank can get an idea from a review of your banking history whether you opening an account with them could be a risk for the bank.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Computers

dennis77

Once I close the account with a bank and have no issues (problem account) with that bank and wait for a month or two and went to a new bank to open an account, then whether the new bank, in any way, can trace or find that I had account with the old bank in the past?

quincy

Once I close the account with a bank and have no issues (problem account) with that bank and wait for a month or two and went to a new bank to open an account, then whether the new bank, in any way, can trace or find that I had account with the old bank in the past?
Yes. In the ways I already noted. But if you have never had any issues with banks in the past, you should have no reason to be concerned.

zddoodah

This post raises no legal issue whatsoever, and we obviously have no way of knowing how this unknown person acquired this piece of knowledge. Why not ask him how he knew that?

PayrollHRGuy

This post raises no legal issue whatsoever, and we obviously have no way of knowing how this unknown person acquired this piece of knowledge. Why not ask him how he knew that?
The name of the site is FreeAdvice.com not FreeLegalAdvice.com and two members seem to know very well how the person AT THE BANK acquired the information.

adjusterjack

Everything you think, do, and say, is out there in cyberspace for anyone to access.

Well, maybe not the think part, but it's coming. ;)

PayrollHRGuy

Let's see what the "Important Notice" at the bottom of every page on this forum has to say about that:

"The FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues." (emphasis added)
There are several sub-forums on the site. Many of them have the word law in their name. Many don't. This happens to be one of the ones that doesn't. Should we start reporting and not responding to questions that aren't for legal advice?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There are several sub-forums on the site. Many of them have the word law in their name. Many don't. This happens to be one of the ones that doesn't. Should we start reporting and not responding to questions that aren't for legal advice?
AGAIN, it's on the bottom of EVERY page.

adjusterjack

You guys are kicking a dead horse.

Everybody comes here for "legal advice" and everything we tell them is, in a sense, legal advice despite our disclaimers.

Give it a rest. You're arguing semantics and nobody cares.

dennis77

I am facing a legal case from my former colleague, the case is still going on. My question is, once I close my bank accounts, is there any way (such as through my credit check, through a look at my ChexSystems history, etc. which Quincy mentioned) for the creditor to know, in the future, the details of the closed accounts I had with the banks in the past?

Just Blue

I am facing a legal case from my former colleague, the case is still going on. My question is, once I close my bank accounts, is there any way (such as through my credit check, through a look at my ChexSystems history, etc. which Quincy mentioned) for the creditor to know, in the future, the details of the closed accounts I had with the banks in the past?
You should ask your attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">