• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does eviction process affect my credit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lscr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My landlord has threatened to start an eviction process. Before I go on, it should be known that I have always paid my rent on time, there are no damages to the property, and no illegal activity going on. His reason for starting an eviction is because my roommate and I have refused to pay noise complaint fines from the HOA. It should also be known that even after requesting copies of the fines, no one has actually mailed us a fine, so I'm not paying a fine I haven't seen for myself. Now I know that getting evicted does not look good on my credit and it doesn't look good to future landlords. It doesn't seem like my landlord has a case for getting me evicted though. I feel like a judge would hear that he's trying to kick us out over unpaid fines that we the tenants never saw, and maybe rule in our favor.

So my question is, if a landlord tries to evict but doesn't succeed, does that affect my credit at all?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please keep your related questions in the same thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/landlord-tenant-issues-42/could-i-evicted-612881.html

Zigner

It was a different question, didn't think it was a big deal. Thank you though.
It's a different question that relates directly to the matter you raised in your other thread. Thank you for understanding.

xylene

Your landlord has a very good reason to evict you, and while the process may be flawed and assailable on the notice requirements, even the suit and definitely if you are evicted will surely effect your credit and your ability to rent.

Happy.

Zigner

Your landlord has a very good reason to evict you, and while the process may be flawed and assailable on the notice requirements, even the suit and definitely if you are evicted will surely effect your credit and your ability to rent.

Happy.
To be clear for the OP - if he prevails, his credit won't be affected, but the checks that landlords run on rental history will likely show that the suit existed which may be off-putting for prospective landlords.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">