• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does he get her to move out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MaryKathryn

My son moved his girlfriend and her two young children into our house just two months after they became engaged which was three months after they met. It has been six months total and he has been trying to get her to move out for over a month now and she will not leave. How do we legally get her out.

LdiJ

My son moved his girlfriend and her two young children into our house just two months after they became engaged which was three months after they met. It has been six months total and he has been trying to get her to move out for over a month now and she will not leave. How do we legally get her out.
You may not realize it, but legally you are her landlord even though she doesn't pay rent. She would be considered a month to month tenant. You have to follow the landlord tenant laws of your state in order to eventually evict her. You must give her notice that her tenancy is being terminated. That notice can be anywhere from 15 days to 60 days depending on the state you are located in. If she does not move out before the notice period ends, then you can file in court for an eviction. Once you get the eviction you can have her forcibly removed if she does not leave voluntarily.

Just Blue

What state? The owner of the house should evict her.

Gail in Georgia

In view of the fact their are small children involved, your son may wish to look into the option of doing this along a "kinder" route; helping the (I'm assuming) now ex find a new place to live and perhaps paying the first months rent and deposit for her.

Depending on your state this may end up being less expensive (and quicker) than going the eviction route.

Gail

adjusterjack

My son moved his girlfriend and her two young children into our house just two months after they became engaged which was three months after they met.
Aww. How sweet. They were in love.

It has been six months total and he has been trying to get her to move out for over a month now
Not in love any more?

she will not leave
Of course not. Free room and board for her and her kids.

How do we legally get her out.
Written notice of termination of tenancy followed by eviction through the courts.

Or, offer her money to leave. Just make sure she is out the door with her kids and her stuff before you pay her and get the agreement in writing along with any keys she might have. But change the locks anyway, just to be sure. And don't agree to store anything for her. Everything goes.

I hope your son won't make that mistake again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">