• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does Survivor's Benefit work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stephen1

What is the name of your state? Social Security survivor’s benefit.

Does anyone understand how this works? I'm trying to do some financial planning.
My spouse is over 65 and currently receives amount “X” based upon her earnings. I also am over 65 and receive amount “Y” based upon my earnings. "X" is less than "Y". If I die first then she is, as I understand, entitled to some amount based upon my earnings (call it amount “Z”). This is referred to as a survivor’s benefit. So, does she receive just “Z”, or does she receive “X” plus “Z”, or some other answer?

Stephen1

Does anyone understand how this works? I'm trying to do some financial planning.
My spouse is over 65 and currently receives amount “X” based upon her earnings. I also am over 65 and receive amount “Y” based upon my earnings. "X" is less than "Y". If I die first then she is, as I understand, entitled to some amount based upon my earnings (call it amount “Z”). This is referred to as a survivor’s benefit. So, does she receive just “Z”, or does she receive “X” plus “Z”, or some other answer?
Guess I shouldn't have stopped Googling things. Or perhaps that fact that I did pause allowed me to change how I Googled after I posted this. Seems I found an answer. She will receive "Z" as it is larger than "X".

quincy

Right. Your spouse will receive the higher benefit amount.

See Page 6 of the following publication from SSA: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10084.pdf

LdiJ

The way that it basically works is that they up her SS benefits based on a factor related to yours. My understanding is that the calculation is somewhat complicated. I know that my mother's benefits increased to a level that was very similar to what my dad's had been.

quincy

The way that it basically works is that they up her SS benefits based on a factor related to yours. My understanding is that the calculation is somewhat complicated. I know that my mother's benefits increased to a level that was very similar to what my dad's had been.
The amount can potentially be up to 100% of the deceased spouse’s greater benefit. The final amount will be a combination of the benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">