• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How is child support determined?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbeeman

What is the name of your state?Illinois

I would like to know how child support is determined. Is it based solely on the income of the non custodial parent or is it based on the custodial parents income also? The custodial parent makes twice what the non custodial parent makes. Does that get factored in when child support is set or is it just the non custodial parent pays a set percentage no matter what the custodial parent makes? If the custodial parents income DOES factor in how can we prove her income? She makes three times the amount she actually reports to the IRS. I was told to have our attorney request her bank statements for the last few years to see if it shows up as cash deposits. If it doesn't can my attorney request an IRS audit?

usmcfamily

I see *you* are in IL -- is the case an IL case?? (not sure if mom/child live elsewhere).
If so visit http://www.ilchildsupport.com/ -- it is the official site of the IL child support system and seems to be pretty comprehensive as far as the information available.

brisgirl825 said:
I believe that Illinois CS calculations are based solely on the NCPs income. They can only take up tp 17% of his income so long as he isn't in arrears.

http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/ChildSupport/illinois/
Correction brisgirl825........You were correct about the NCP being the only income considered, but it is 20% of the NCP's income for one child... 28% for two children and 32% for three children............And these % are only guideline minimums depending on the judge..... you could be ordered to pay more.......Also this is based on NCP's income after taxes are taken out....

Oh and by the way weren't you just correcting my spelling.......I think I remember hearing something about glass houses growing up :rolleyes:

Last edited:

brisgirl825

I don't believe that I ever stated that I don't type-o. If you want to be $hitty about it, go ahead. I hope it makes you feel better. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">