• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How is this possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JellyBeaBuzz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I will be up front that this case is not mine, and I do not know all details...but I thought maybe you all could shed some light on the situation for me?

I know someone who went through a divorce and custody case awhile ago. Within the last 10-15 years. I am only estimating the time, as the kid in question is late teen (not yet 18), and the divorce happened when the kid was pretty young.

This person was awarded custody of his child. Yet, the mother refused to hand over the child. He tried law enforcement, but they refused to do anything stating it was a civil matter and not a criminal matter. The guy kept going back to court, kept getting custody awarded to him...and even had a good lawyer. Mother still refused to hand the kid over. Kid got to the age where he could give input where he wanted to be. Kid chose dad, court gave dad custody, and mother still refused to hand kid over. This guy and his lawyer kept going to court, had the appropriate orders, and nothing was done. Mother refused to hand over kid. This person recently gave up as his lawyer told him they've spent all this time and money getting no where, and he did not see that changing.

The only other info I know is that the two were married and lived in another state. They relocated to Ohio and lived here a few years before divorcing. I cannot remember if the two reside in the same county, or different counties.

But my big question is...how is this even possible? How is the mother able to refuse to hand the kid over when the courts gave the father legal custody, and her not get arrested or any other negative consequences? This guy was pretty much ruined by this. Before the start of it, he owned his own company and made good money. He spent so much money and time fighting this that he lost his company.

But mainly...how is this even possible?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">