• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How is this possible???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kymike

Kentucky
I found through my tax returns being taken that someone has taken me to court and won child support in Ionia Michigan. I at least facebook friends with every single person I have ever been with, and I truly know no one in that state. I myself have only been in the state once, and that was in 97 when I on a whim went to Detroit. I drove there, took a wrong turn, found out you can get to Canada from Detroit, and went back. At this point, the only way a kid could have come from that is through osmosis while I'm walking into and out of a gas station because I didnt really stop. Either way, that trip was 21 years ago. What can I do and if I have to do a dna test from someone I've never met in a state like a 1000 miles away who do I sue for this stupidity? I keep picturing someone grabbing a phone book from a random state and throwing a dart into it and saying that where she hit is the father of a kid.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Are you saying that you've never even been notified? No court papers? Nothing?

You should also be aware that just because the order came out of Michigan, doesn't mean the child was born or conceived in Michigan.

kymike

nothing whatsoever. true... I guess what I meant to say is, I've been a homebody for 4 years trying to get my life straight in a lot of ways and work on art. everyone that I have been around sexually or non sexually I can count on 2 hands, and none of them have moved to michigan. Tried looking up the case in the michigan listing of court cases, but couldn't find anything either closed or open in my name.

kymike

could it be another with the same name as i, and to speed up the process they went ahead and gave her my social? the other guy gets the summons to court for child support, but I get my wages garnished due to some weird mix-up?

LdiJ

Kentucky
I found through my tax returns being taken that someone has taken me to court and won child support in Ionia Michigan. I at least facebook friends with every single person I have ever been with, and I truly know no one in that state. I myself have only been in the state once, and that was in 97 when I on a whim went to Detroit. I drove there, took a wrong turn, found out you can get to Canada from Detroit, and went back. At this point, the only way a kid could have come from that is through osmosis while I'm walking into and out of a gas station because I didnt really stop. Either way, that trip was 21 years ago. What can I do and if I have to do a dna test from someone I've never met in a state like a 1000 miles away who do I sue for this stupidity? I keep picturing someone grabbing a phone book from a random state and throwing a dart into it and saying that where she hit is the father of a kid.
It appears that a mistake has happened. You really need to get an attorney involved if you want to truly fix this situation. Its not something that can easily be handled without one.

kymike

gotcha.. what are the chances of suing for the lawyer fees as well? is there a deadbeat dads registry as well that I am on as of right now as well? Last question that I can think of hopefully.. since the money was taken due to something happening in michigan, do I need to get a lawyer there, or can I get a lawyer where I am?

LdiJ

gotcha.. what are the chances of suing for the lawyer fees as well? is there a deadbeat dads registry as well that I am on as of right now as well? Last question that I can think of hopefully.. since the money was taken due to something happening in michigan, do I need to get a lawyer there, or can I get a lawyer where I am?
I would at least talk to an attorney in Michigan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">