• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long am I required to keep property awarded to ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

southeastmo

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Missouri
I have been divorced for well over a year. Before the divorce my ex and I bought a boat which is currently at my house. He never had the title to the boat or trailer changed over to his name it is still in the former owners name he lost the titles this boat has been sitting in my driveway for the year and a half. I have asked him to come a get it repeatly I would like to get rid of this. Does anyone know what are my legal options how long am I suppose to keep this boat. Can I contact the former owners and ask them to apply for a lost title and then have them sign over the title over to me. Any help will be greatly appreciated

seniorjudge

Write him a certified letter, return receipt requested, and tell him that his boat is blocking up your property. Tell him you give him thirty days to come get it and, if it is not gone, then you will consider it abandoned and send him a bill for having it hauled away.

Make sure a copy of that letter and a copy of the receipt where he signed for the letter gets in your court file. Take all that info to the circuit clerk in the county courthouse where y'all got divorced.

After 30 days passes and you see nothing from him, then try to get it put it in your name OR have it hauled off for junk.

Just make sure you can document every step you take in case the judge hauls you in for contempt of court or something.

J

jackedbyjudge

southeastmo said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Missouri
Can I contact the former owners and ask them to apply for a lost title and then have them sign over the title over to me. Any help will be greatly appreciated
Yes. Contact the former owners, get the title and give me a call. BTW, can you be more discriptive about the boat???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">