• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long are judgements good for?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brookelea

I am in Washington state. I have a judgement against me that started I believe in 1994, They have never attempted to garnish my wages or anything and I have only made sparatic payments on it. On one conversation with the collection agent she mentioned the garnishment was only good til a certain date and they were trying to collect on the money before they could not enforce it. Is there a time limit for a judgement? and if so, do they have the option of going through procedings again to get another one in which I incur additional fees on?

Any info would be wonderful, thanks!

Brooke

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Copy and paste this into your browser without the on each side. [url]http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/statuteLimitationsJudgements.shtml

Also, check with a local attorney to find out if, prior to the expiration, judgments are renewable.

IAAL

Last edited:
K

KeyLegal

Another possibility, in some states, the statute of limitations runs from the date of the judgment OR the last payment on the judgment. Check with an attorney.

JETX

Key:
You said, "in some states, the statute of limitations runs from the date of the judgment OR the last payment on the judgment."

You are simply wrong again!! Please list ONE state that sets the judgment SOL as date of "last payment"!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">