• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long before insurance premiums should be refunded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

QuestionsFromIA

What is the name of your state? Iowa

My husband carries health insurance on me, himself, and our 4 children. This is not covered under any work plan, so we are forced to pay $$$ in premiums.

We paid premiums to Insurance Company X for 10 months with no issues or claims. Shortly after I was laid off from my job of 8 yrs, I had a slight nervous breakdown which required me to stay in the hospital for 1 night and follow up treatment. Prescriptions as well, but these were not covered by insurance anyway.

Condensed Version of what happened...
Insurance Company X pulled my medical record from my life-long physician. Cancelled our insurance for the reason of "based on the medical history revealed in the medical records, health question numbers 2b and 2f should have been answered "yes" with full details provided" and "Had (my name)'s complete medical history been known we wouldn't have accepted her".

I don't recall exactly what questions 2b and 2f were, but to be honest with you, I had a trouble with depression in my early 20's, so I'm assuming that's what it is. I did leave that info out, but for the reasons of embarrassment only.

Fine... I didn't want to pay those stinky premiums anyway... I've moved on and we now have insurance on the kids only with company Z. My issue....

We received a certified registered letter from Company X a little over a month ago, stating that "a refund check will be issued within 21-days" The refund check is supposed to be for premiums paid (over $5,000) minus benefits paid ($44).

I have heard nothing since this letter, what are my rights?

JETX

"I have heard nothing since this letter, what are my rights?"
*** Based purely on the facts in your post, you aren't due a refund. Presumably, the insurance company DID provide coverage for you during that period..... even though you may not have made any claims.

So, the obvious questions become:
What did the insurance company say when you contacted them in writing???
And
What did your states insurance commission say when you contacted THEM in writing?

Q

QuestionsFromIA

An Afterpost-Afterthought: ;)

I don't know if this would be assumed or needed info, I just thought about the possibility that it might not be assumed...

The reason that ALL premiums are being refunded is because the cancellation is retro - the cancelled "effective date" is when we first signed up.

The reason that premiums for ALL household members are being refunded is because we did NOT fax back a signed form that said "we agree to their decision of cancelling me"

Thanks in advance for any help!

Q

QuestionsFromIA

Sorry! My last post, missed your post JETX. Thank you for a reply. And my apologies if I wasn't clear enough.

I paid premiums all the way up to 2 months AFTER my hospitalization, which they paid $0 of. They did not pull my medical records until they were sent the doctors bills, THEN they cancelled me, I'm assuming the extra 2 months is how long it took them to investigate?

I also did not know I was entitled to a refund (If I even am) until I received the letter from the insurance company. I figured I was SOL for not completing application "fully".

Q

QuestionsFromIA

Boy! I am not a good explainer OR listener today....

I have not contacted the insurance company in writing or anyone else for that matter.

All contact was over the phone, between my husband and the insurance company, because of my condition at the time, I was pretty much left out of the information loop.

I also have not contacted anyone for the reason above "I thought I was SOL" until I received letter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">