• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long before Wife can come

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

Later this month, a relative is going to South America to marry the mother of his child.

My relative is a US citizen, and his child is US Citizen. Wife to be is not, and has never been to US.

I've offered to pay for airfare for wife and child to USA.

The INS (or whatever they're called now) website says there is no waiting period, but I suspect there is some processing time involved.

When are they likely to be able to travel?

Proserpina

It might be faster to go with the K (fiance) visas and get married in the US; it takes 3-6 months (on average) from time of filing to when she can actually enter the US, after which they'd marry and then file for residency based upon her marriage.

Filing outside of the US can take longer, but from what I'm seeing online it's still only about 6-10 months in South America (a very general estimate) from time of filing to date of interview.

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

Later this month, a relative is going to South America to marry the mother of his child.

My relative is a US citizen, and his child is US Citizen. Wife to be is not, and has never been to US.

I've offered to pay for airfare for wife and child to USA.

The INS (or whatever they're called now) website says there is no waiting period, but I suspect there is some processing time involved.

When are they likely to be able to travel?
I suspect more likely that you've misunderstood what you have read.

Your brother may not bring his new wife back to the US just by going down and marrying her.

The USCIS site does not say there is no waiting period to immigrate, but that there is no wait for a visa number for the Immediate Relative (spouse) of a US citizen.
That is good news; the wait for a visa number in other categories is many years.

However, there is still paperwork to file that takes some amount of time to process. A petition, a visa application, there is a medical exam, documents to gather up.. An immigrant visa application will take aprox. 8-10 months if you know what you're doing, more if you do not. You do not, your brother does not, so I highly recommend that you find someone to help guide you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">