• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long can a sheriff's or police department hold a person on a want from another county?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

George Hilman

What is the name of your state? New York

Lady mhorvath asked an interesting question but never got an answer. Maybe someone knows. Her question follows:

If someone is being held in one county for a want in another county, how long can he be held before he must be released? I thought there was a time limit on such things, but I may be mistaken.

Background here is as follows: Husband traveled to the state of FL to take care of an old (7 year old) warrant, posted the $1000 bond there, but is being held due to a want in another county. It's been 4 days now with no information being given to my husband, and no visit from attorney, and still no transfer to the other county. Thanks.

quincy

Who is Lady MHorvath? On what offense is her husband being held?

The husband should ask for an attorney.

FlyingRon

A person can be held quite a while until one of three things happens:

1. The county who issued the warrant comes and gets him.
2. That county decides they don't want to come get him.
3. The county holding him decides they've waited long enough.
4. The arrestee asserts his rights to be released.

What rights are available to him in #4 depends on what the nature of the arrest warrant is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">