• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long can I stay in NYC apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dennis1297

I just received a letter from my landlords lawyer stating that they elect to terminate my month to month tenancy.
It also states that I have until the end of the month to leave my apartment Under NYS law Article 7 RPAPL.
I have lived here for 11 years with a new lease every 2 years by the old owner. The new owner bought the property in June 2000 and never gave us a lease to sign and is now selling it. He says the new owner wants our apartment.

Just tell me where I stand how long it takes if we go to court and so on.
Thank You
Dennis1297

D

djdj

well it all depends.....in NYCity if he just gave you notice, then you have to be out by Jan 31, When did your OLD lease end?????

The new owner must honor the old lease ....so just because he didnt give you a lease in JUNE if the old lease says you can stay till jun 2001.......then thats when it ends and NOT before..

NOW how many units does the building have? 6 then it may be rent stabilized and he cant evict you.

Also you have a right to your security deposit back, so take lots of pictures.....

Also is this an Illegal 3rd apartment? If so then the landlord must evict you in supreme court not in housing, and you are not obligated to pay any rent period!

so explain your situation....

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

Depends if you live in multiple dwelling and if you're rent stabilized or not. Periodic tenancy (month to month tenancy) can be terminated on one month's notice. Then, a proceeding is first instituted. If you know the system in NYC, it can be greatly delayed. Even when it's over, the court has authority to let you stay on for 6 additional months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">