• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long do I have to hold someone's things for them

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frenchtoast

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

I have a question about how long I have to hold someone's things for them in storage. The background is that I was a college student renting an apartment and I sublet one of the rooms to a friend I'll call Sally. Not all of Sally's things fit into the apartment so some of their things were kept in storage at my father's house. (My father was the co-signer for the apartment when I moved in.) Sally decided not to pay rent regularly. I managed to get them to move out of the apartment but she left their things in storage at my father's house. She put her things in our basement when she moved in and has left them there long after she moved out. I called her and initially spoke to her several times about getting her things out of our basement. She moved out in July of 2007. Two weeks ago she called my father wanting her things back.
The problem is that we had to throw her things away. We had a problem with our furnace that damaged everything in there. We had assumed that she had abandoned her things. Her things were junk like yellowed children's books, a few stuffed animals and some glassware that you wouldn't even buy at a flea market. It was worth maybe $100 if we are speaking generously in her favor.
I am concerned that she will try to milk this for all its worth and claim that we owe her hundreds of dollars for this stuff. She can be very manipulative and a bit crazy sometimes. Has her property been left long enough for it to be considered abandoned. I really do not want my father to pay her anything as she still owes us about $5000 in back rent and tried to steal some of my things when she left.https://forum.freeadvice.com/images/icons/icon8.gif

Thanks for any information you can give me about abandoned property laws in Maine.

Who's Liable?

Generally 30 days is sufficient, however you should have sent her letters stating she had 30-days to remove said items OR had her sign a contract with a certain number of days and any action you would take should she fail to pick said items up.

If she sues, inform her you will counter sue for rent still owed...

Alaska landlord

Abandonment laws will vary from state to state. You need to research applicable law for your state. Do not presume that 30 days and a letter is sufficient notice.

I got sued for ratty furniture 3 years after the fact, despite giving the tenant proper notice. The judge was about to award the tenant monetary damages when I told her I still had the furniture. That totally ruined the tenants day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">