• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long does a landlord have to bill ex tenant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cat2young

I have a friend that moved in Aug. Her move took about a week to ten days longer than she thought, at the time this was no big deal the landlord said she would pro rate the extra rent and send her a bill. She still has not gotten a bill. She has asked the landlord for the bill and made sure she knew her new address and phone number. She doesn't want this to affect her later on.
How long does the landlord have to bill her? This is in FL. Thanks

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

Better question is: "What is statute of limitations within which she can get sued?" Don't leave this hanging. If necessary, she writes to him. That letter serves as an estoppel letter (defense to later suit).

C

cat2young

anyone else? HomeGuru?

Does any one else have any thing to add?

LegalBeagle

Re: anyone else? HomeGuru?

cat2young said:
Does any one else have any thing to add?
She works out how much she owes him, put that money to one side and then as Jack says, write him a letter, return recipt etc... and then forget about it.. if he decides to ask for the money in 6 months then she has it ready.

HomeGuru

Hi Kitty.
I would have her calculate how much rent she owes and send it to him. Why is she waiting for a bill? She never waited for a bill every month before paying her rent. Calculate the number of extra days then multiply the number of days with the daily rental rate. Have her read the lease agreement to figure out the daily rental rate. It is normally the total rent divided by 30 days.

[Edited by HomeGuru on 12-03-2000 at 02:27 AM]

C

cat2young

Thanks

I will tell her. Thanks for the answers. I may not have gotten the whole story. There is also a issue with a washer and dryer she left that the next tenant is (?) buying, but she has been a good friend and I said I would ask. This was all she told me. Thanks again.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">