• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long is too long to wait to hear from your lawyer once hired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heman2017

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hired a lawyer on august 14, 2017 to deal with a contractor/finance company who had done 2 bathrooms remodels for me and did not do the job correctly. Spoke my case to the lawyer over the phone during the initial consultation and based on my explanation, he said it sounded like I had a case. He then explained I would need to email in all of my pictures, emails, documents, communication, etc with the contractor and finance company so they could review it to see how I could precede or if I had a case at all. The retainer was $2500. I signed the contract on aug 14. When I did this, they set up a online portal for me to log into and it had all info about my case.

anyway, after a month, I emailed the laywer who I spoke to asking for an update, no reply. sent a second email the following day asking for an update, again, no reply. Checked the online portal for my case and no updates or any information. about a week later, I got a call from one of the paralegals saying that my case was assigned to basically a rookie attorney in the firm and would call me in 3 days to discuss the case. At the same time, that night, the online portal updated saying the paralegal had uploaded all of my documents that I sent in back in august. Funny was it showed they uploaded all of the documents the same day I sent them in, but didn't update the online portal until I asked for an update. This now showed they used $350 for this.

Finally I spoke to the attorney assigned to my case and the call lasted less then 5 minutes and the attorney explained that they needed time to review the documents and that it took time. I understood this and the call ended. Now 2 weeks later, the online portal again updated but now showed that they completed a full review of my documents, and the date the review was finished was the same day I spoke to the attorney. they now charged $750 for the review and $35 for the phone call. I find it hard to believe they finished a full review yet the attorney said it would take time. Almost seems as if they are not doing anything but trying to use my money. Plus if they completed a full review, how come the attorney has not advised me of their review, something the main laywer told me they would do, told me via email.

That was 2 months ago and I still have not heard anything from the attorney. My question is, how long is too long to wait to hear anything? Is this normal for attorneys to take months to do anything? This is the first time I have needed to use an attorney.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Not sure why anyone would retain an attorney that they never even met.

That having been said, I have little faith in online portals (never saw an attorney with one). They tend not to be updated in a timely fashion. What hourly rate are you paying? I would say that the charges so far have not been unreasonable.

Two weeks does not seem like an unreasonable amount of time. I'll go out on a limb and say that they documents were not reviewed when the portal said they were.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hired a lawyer on august 14, 2017 to deal with a contractor/finance company who had done 2 bathrooms remodels for me and did not do the job correctly. Spoke my case to the lawyer over the phone during the initial consultation and based on my explanation, he said it sounded like I had a case. He then explained I would need to email in all of my pictures, emails, documents, communication, etc with the contractor and finance company so they could review it to see how I could precede or if I had a case at all. The retainer was $2500. I signed the contract on aug 14. When I did this, they set up a online portal for me to log into and it had all info about my case.

anyway, after a month, I emailed the laywer who I spoke to asking for an update, no reply. sent a second email the following day asking for an update, again, no reply. Checked the online portal for my case and no updates or any information. about a week later, I got a call from one of the paralegals saying that my case was assigned to basically a rookie attorney in the firm and would call me in 3 days to discuss the case. At the same time, that night, the online portal updated saying the paralegal had uploaded all of my documents that I sent in back in august. Funny was it showed they uploaded all of the documents the same day I sent them in, but didn't update the online portal until I asked for an update. This now showed they used $350 for this.

Finally I spoke to the attorney assigned to my case and the call lasted less then 5 minutes and the attorney explained that they needed time to review the documents and that it took time. I understood this and the call ended. Now 2 weeks later, the online portal again updated but now showed that they completed a full review of my documents, and the date the review was finished was the same day I spoke to the attorney. they now charged $750 for the review and $35 for the phone call. I find it hard to believe they finished a full review yet the attorney said it would take time. Almost seems as if they are not doing anything but trying to use my money. Plus if they completed a full review, how come the attorney has not advised me of their review, something the main laywer told me they would do, told me via email.

That was 2 months ago and I still have not heard anything from the attorney. My question is, how long is too long to wait to hear anything? Is this normal for attorneys to take months to do anything? This is the first time I have needed to use an attorney.
Here is a link to Florida Rule 4-1.4 of the Florida Rules of Professional Conduct on Communications: http://www4.floridabar.org/divexe/rrtfb.nsf/FV/42B57D8F7D441A8885257170006FAE7F
https://www4.floridabar.org/divexe/rrtfb.nsf/FV/42B57D8F7D441A8885257170006FAE7F

An attorney should keep his client informed.

Last edited:

KennyG

When Lawyer's Don't Repond

Document, document, and document. If your attorney is not responding to you, I would look to your local bar association and see if they have a Client-Attorney Assistance Program. In Texas we call this CAAP, but in Florida it might be something different. I would begin by contacting this department and they will write a letter to your attorney on your behalf. This should get the attorney's attention and if they continue, it could help pave the way for you to file a formal grievance with your State Bar association.

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

Document, document, and document. If your attorney is not responding to you, I would look to your local bar association and see if they have a Client-Attorney Assistance Program. In Texas we call this CAAP, but in Florida it might be something different. I would begin by contacting this department and they will write a letter to your attorney on your behalf. This should get the attorney's attention and if they continue, it could help pave the way for you to file a formal grievance with your State Bar association.

/
Please read or reread the terms and conditions of this site, Kenny, and please look at posting dates. Older threads should not be revived.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">