• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long to retain records?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stephen1

What is the name of your state? WA
For the last several years of my in-laws' lives my wife was their Representative Payee (RP) for Social Security benefits. Our question now is: How many years does she need to retain records showing what she spent the funds on?

I sent an email to SS asking this question and received back a generic response that told me what a RP was, who might need one, what the funds could be spent on, etc. The only thing relating to records was the requirement for the RP to submit an annual report (which she did each year for each parent). Nothing at all about how long after their demise the RP could be audited and therefore needed to retain the records.

LdiJ

As long as the records are not taking up too much space, I would probably keep them for at least 5-10 years.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Can't you scan everything? If so, the you should be able to keep the records forever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">