• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much access is tenant required to give landlord?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bj21

What is the name of your state? NY

I moved into a new apartment about 7 months ago and I have a couple questions about how much access I am required to give my landlord.

First, his "manager" knocks on everyone's door approx. once a month and asks if he can come in to inspect things.

Second, when I give my landlord my "written notice that I am moving" do I have to give him access to show the apartment to prospective tenants while I'm still paying rent?

I do not have a lease but only a rental agreement that says I have to give (2) months notice before moving, and also includes various other things the landlord may charge for.

Since the Rental Agreement is mute on the (2) questions I asked, I would like to know how much access I must LEGALLY give him.

(I realize that since I don't have a lease, that by refusing to give access I might be asked to leave but that is not what I'm asking.)

Thanks for any advice given.

What is the name of your state?

kornball

I believe a rental agreement is a lease.

On your agreement does it state a 24 hour notice or anything. If it's a bad time say company over or something, ask them to come back tomorrow as you currently have guests over. Or you were just on your way out but tomorrow about this time would work, or something like that.

Yeah you gotta give the LL access while you are renting it once you give notice. Depending on your agreement it will highlight the those details. Some places don't disturb the tenants but most do just pop in and the such to show it and try to get it on the market ASAP. I don't think there is a way around that. But they might need to give you some sort of notice as to when.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">