• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much do you HAVE to pay a creditor to keep from going to court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

down-n-out

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I owe about 10 different creditors, one is on a repoed car, I just started working again in March after being laid off for a little over a year. My question is How much do I HAVE to pay the creditor (collection agency) to keep them from taking me to court or garnishing my wages which isn't much.

I always heard a rumor that as long as you paid them a dollar a month they couldn't touch you. I have not paid any of these creditors in a couple of years and have no assets.

Any advice would be VERY helpful - I would file bankruptcy but I can't even afford to do that.

Thanks in advance for the advice!!!!

Debt Guy

You cannot force a creditor to negotiate. If you are in default, they have the right to deman payment in full right away.

You said you can't afford to file bankruptcy -- but you can afford to pay something on your debts. This does not make sense.

A simple Chapter 7 bankruptcy would be about $1000. Many attorneys will allow you to make payments. Most allow a free 30 minute consultation.

Bankruptcy laws are about to change in the next 45 days -- so find out today whether it is good sense for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">