• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much if any, unused credit on credit card needed to raise score?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
I'm trying to raise my FICO score and have paid off a huge amt of debt from my 3 cc's, is there any advantages to carrying a small amt month to month? Between 3 cards, have about $2800 total line and owe approx $900 total, am willing to pay these down more if beneficial. Looked for this as a sticky topic here but didnt find it, sorry if this is redundant. Also how many months before something favorable gets done to reflect on score?
Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
I'm trying to raise my FICO score and have paid off a huge amt of debt from my 3 cc's, is there any advantages to carrying a small amt month to month? Between 3 cards, have about $2800 total line and owe approx $900 total, am willing to pay these down more if beneficial. Looked for this as a sticky topic here but didnt find it, sorry if this is redundant. Also how many months before something favorable gets done to reflect on score?
Thanks
Under 30% utilization is generally most favorable. Carrying a balance isn't necessary, but using the card and paying on time is. Changes are reflected fairly quickly.

With that said, utilization isn't really the only thing they look at and might not have as large an effect as you would hope.

Lastly, this forum is for legal questions. Yours really is not a legal question. You would be better off asking on a credit repair forum.

ETA: Your prior failures to pay as agreed are going to hurt you far more than reducing your utilization will help.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/banking-credit-cards-18/sol-cc-debt-expiring-month-still-have-questions-646725.html

Last edited:
Under 30% utilization is generally most favorable. Carrying a balance isn't necessary, but using the card and paying on time is. Changes are reflected fairly quickly.

With that said, utilization isn't really the only thing they look at and might not have as large an effect as you would hope.

Lastly, this forum is for legal questions. Yours really is not a legal question. You would be better off asking on a credit repair forum.

ETA: Your prior failures to pay as agreed are going to hurt you far more than reducing your utilization will help.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/banking-credit-cards-18/sol-cc-debt-expiring-month-still-have-questions-646725.html
OOps, can it be moved? and yes I am aware of my outstanding debt is a killer, trying to inch up my score anyway I can

Zigner

OOps, can it be moved? and yes I am aware of my outstanding debt is a killer, trying to inch up my score anyway I can
This is a legal forum. We can't "move" anything to an entirely different forum. You will need to seek out a credit forum.

Just Blue

This is a legal forum. We can't "move" anything to an entirely different forum. You will need to seek out a credit forum.
To clarify the ^

FreeAdvice deals with legal issues...You need to google up a credit repair SITE. :)

Zigner

An interesting aside: Any site you go to anywhere is only going to offer guesses...

If I use one site's tools to simulate the effects of various things on my credit, I find interesting anomalies. For example - If I add *9* inquiries to my current number of inquiries, the simulator actually predicts that my score will increase. It makes no sense.

To clarify the ^

FreeAdvice deals with legal issues...You need to google up a credit repair SITE. :)
Arent there a lot of rip off sites on credit repair sites? I was taken badly by a debt reduction company (hope thats right term) and by the grace of God, I recovered majority of money via the consumer protection agency , again I hope that was right, so I'm very leery.

Zigner

Arent there a lot of rip off sites on credit repair sites? I was taken badly by a debt reduction company (hope thats right term) and by the grace of God, I recovered majority of money via the consumer protection agency , again I hope that was right, so I'm very leery.
You need to find a SITE similar to this one, but with folks who help consumers with their credit matters. They're not going to pay your bills and they're not going to run your credit reports.

You need to find a SITE similar to this one, but with folks who help consumers with their credit matters. They're not going to pay your bills and they're not going to run your credit reports.
Not pay my bills? the rats! Just kidding I know, I just ran my report and it was a bit lower than the free score I get with my discover card for whatever reason

I thought I was being referred to one of these outfits that for a fee, will raise yr score by a lot in a short time frame. But thanks, I will goggle what you are talking about. Any recommendations??

Zigner

Not pay my bills? the rats! Just kidding I know, I just ran my report and it was a bit lower than the free score I get with my discover card for whatever reason

I thought I was being referred to one of these outfits that for a fee, will raise yr score by a lot in a short time frame. But thanks, I will goggle what you are talking about. Any recommendations??
No - you will need to search the web.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">