• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much is enough

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ubi

Hi I live in Los Angeles, California, My question is regarding safety issue to tenants. i live in an apartment building with 20 units. On Friday 15th a maintenance person arrived and did a cleaning in the boiler to remove all the sand but the problem was that after he left we all started to smell a cent of gas.The manager came out but didn't say or do anything. the next day we were out all day so we were didn't know the issue continued on Sunday we opened our doors and in matter of 1 or 2 minutes our entire home meld like gas. We all came out doors to try to find out were the gas was liking from it was from the washroom were the boiler is located at. finally one tenant called the fire dept. They checked for gas leaks but said there were none and said it was fine since the manager claimed to be turning off the boiler every hour.Then we called the gas company a few minutes and explained the situation, they sent some one to check the leak. The person from the gas company told me the breather was covered and gas was not burning properly. but the carbon that fell into boiler was causing carbon monoxide and could have killed a child in 20 to 30 min if they would have locked them self in that room.The person from the gas shut off the boiler and gave me a order of repair before using it again. Since the manager did not open her doors when we knocked. What are my legal rights on an issue like this. We all fill we were put in danger since the manager did not do anything about it. It seems
as if she just hid in her apt. :mad:

FarmerJ

SO now that the gas co has flagged the unit , contact your city building inspections dept and have them take a look, they will likely write up a order telling the LL they have X number of days to make repair or they risk condemnation.

If the landlord does not provide CO2 detectors, go and buy yourself one. They are only about $20 and are extremely important in any unit that uses gas. Get one for your own protection please.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">