• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much of a payout does one receive if the benefiary dies?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DawnInWV

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My friend Ed's mom took out a life insurance policy on him when he was a child. All I know was that it was a $10,000 policy. Ed's mom died last month, and she was the only beneficiary on the policy. The insurance company told him to mail them proof of his mom's death and they would mail him some money. The question we're all asking is this: Would Ed get the whole $10,000 benefit? The policy was started about 30 years ago and we're all wondering how much money he gets.

DawnInWV

Ed should ask the insurance carrier these questions.

But I also wonder why he'd want to cash this in now?
He is facing hard times financially right now and just found the paperwork for this policy when looking thru his mom's old papers. I know he's hoping for the full $10K, but we aren't sure how this works.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Was it a whole life policy or a term life policy?

Were the premiums up-to-date?

All questions to be asked of the insurance company.

ErinGoBragh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My friend Ed's mom took out a life insurance policy on him when he was a child. All I know was that it was a $10,000 policy. Ed's mom died last month, and she was the only beneficiary on the policy. The insurance company told him to mail them proof of his mom's death and they would mail him some money. The question we're all asking is this: Would Ed get the whole $10,000 benefit? The policy was started about 30 years ago and we're all wondering how much money he gets.
Running on the assumption that this is a whole life policy, your friend Ed needs to call the insurance company and ask what the surrender value of the policy is. It will vary based on many factors exactly what the policy value is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">