• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Much Rent Owed by tenant -Gave 2 day Notice North Carolina

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

questions1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
Had female tenant-she rented room from me for six months, month to month. My understanding is that in NC, she needed to give 7 days notice that she was moving. On January 2, she said she would not be paying rent, that she would be moving within a week. She moved out on January 4. She did not pay prorated rent for the month. (She also took some things from the house, but that is a separate issue). She did not have a security deposit. Does she owe me money for January? Prorated? Or the full month? Thank you

MIRAKALES

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
Had female tenant-she rented room from me for six months, month to month. My understanding is that in NC, she needed to give 7 days notice that she was moving. On January 2, she said she would not be paying rent, that she would be moving within a week. She moved out on January 4. She did not pay prorated rent for the month. (She also took some things from the house, but that is a separate issue). She did not have a security deposit. Does she owe me money for January? Prorated? Or the full month? Thank you
The State of North Carolina requires seven (7) days written notice to terminate and vacate with a month-to-month lease agreement. The property owner (landlord) should issue a notice of delinquency to the tenant for the entire month rent which is what the landlord is legally entitled to. The State of North Carolina calls it a Ten-Day Notice to Cure Default (in this case default of unpaid rent and property damage for missing items).

Presuming the tenant did not leave a forwarding address, the property owner (landlord) should send the notice of delinquency via USPS certified mail and USPS standard mail to the address of tenancy, requesting USPS mail forwarding address service in order to receive the new tenant address. In the interim, the property owner (landlord) should also file a small claims suit for the missing property and the loss of rent for the month and January 2013.

In the future, the property owner (landlord) should always require at least one month’s rent for security deposit and, and if necessary, last month’s rent to compensate for poor credit or lack of references. The State of North Carolina allows the property owner (landlord) to collect two month’s rent for an annual lease agreement and one and one-half (1.5) month’s rent for month-to-month lease agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">