• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much to pay him off?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MelisaG25

What is the name of your state? California
Hello,
I purchased a home with my boyfriend. The split goes 1/3(him) and 2/3(me).
I put down $70K as the down payment when we purchased the house.

Is he still entitled to 1/3 the equity if I was to buy him out even though he did not put anything towards the original down payment? Or can it be 'equity minus the original $70K down payment' where then he gets 1/3 of the amount? We are on a interest only type loan. Please help. Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

MelisaG25 said:
Hello,
And where do you get those figures?
O.k.
Is he still entitled to 1/3 the equity if I was to buy him out even though he did not put anything towards the original down payment?
no, he is entitled to 1/2
Or can it be 'equity minus the original $70K down payment' where then he gets 1/3 of the amount? We are on a interest only type loan. Please help. Thanks!
Help? Learn the words "partition" they will serve you well when you go see a real estate attorney.

HomeGuru

MelisaG25 said:
Hello,

Is he still entitled to 1/3 the equity if I was to buy him out even though he did not put anything towards the original down payment? Or can it be 'equity minus the original $70K down payment' where then he gets 1/3 of the amount? We are on a interest only type loan. Please help. Thanks!

**A: absent any written agreement to an agreed upon percentage split, he owns 50% equity in the property. So be nice to him, not bitchy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">