• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How should I go about this, what attorney do I look for?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My now ex wife and I have been in our trailer for 3 years. We recently just finalized our divorce. My name and her name are both on the lease, yet I live here and her mother, father and brother all live her. She moved in with her boyfriend a long while ago. Long story short my track record for paying the rent and such have been perfect. Since the divorce I can't keep up because somehow I became the only provider of the house. I pay for both rents. She does not pay for her portion of anything, neither does her parents or her brother. They each have jobs and can easily afford to help in every way but all the do is order out. I'm currently two months behind on rent and am being served an eviction notice. I informed her whole family to which they just shrugged and said find a solution. Please any suggestion on where to begin with this process would be wonderful, what kind of attorney should I look for, how do I go about this in any way? Since her name is on the lease and her family still lives here she should still be paying and helping her family not just me doing everything.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Were you paying it before? Why do you think it will be less if they weren't there. Most importantly, why didn't you address this in the divorce?

Just Blue

My now ex wife and I have been in our trailer for 3 years. We recently just finalized our divorce. My name and her name are both on the lease, yet I live here and her mother, father and brother all live her. She moved in with her boyfriend a long while ago. Long story short my track record for paying the rent and such have been perfect. Since the divorce I can't keep up because somehow I became the only provider of the house. I pay for both rents. She does not pay for her portion of anything, neither does her parents or her brother. They each have jobs and can easily afford to help in every way but all the do is order out. I'm currently two months behind on rent and am being served an eviction notice. I informed her whole family to which they just shrugged and said find a solution. Please any suggestion on where to begin with this process would be wonderful, what kind of attorney should I look for, how do I go about this in any way? Since her name is on the lease and her family still lives here she should still be paying and helping her family not just me doing everything.
What state?

FarmerJ

Couple of questions first , SO you have a written lease ? (2) after the first year did the original lease become month to month or did it renew for one whole year at a time after that first year ? (3) Have you received a actual summons from the court system and who is listed on the summons ( just you ? you and former wife? or every adult resident ?) If it was me , I would move out anyway since the three of them appear to think they have no responsibility or obligation to contribute financially to solve this problem.

Were you paying it before? Why do you think it will be less if they weren't there. Most importantly, why didn't you address this in the divorce?
Before it was an equal thing everyone gave in a part of the rent which was fine. I often had to pay more in the long run if her family wasn't able to male due but to get to the point after said divorce they stopped paying I took it on myself kinda distracted with all that was going on to just pay for the rent. Her name is legally still attached. Her family is living here all at my expense. I may not know all this "legality" stuff which is why I'm seeking advice but I know for a fact if she is going to continue to not take her name off she should be responsible for her part and such.

FarmerJ

If she is still listed on the lease and you have vacated before going to court then show up for court and make sure to tell the judge you moved out and when .

Couple of questions first , SO you have a written lease ? (2) after the first year did the original lease become month to month or did it renew for one whole year at a time after that first year ? (3) Have you received a actual summons from the court system and who is listed on the summons ( just you ? you and former wife? or every adult resident ?) If it was me , I would move out anyway since the three of them appear to think they have no responsibility or obligation to contribute financially to solve this problem.
Yes I have a written lease, the lease we had the option of renewing it for a year at a time or 2 years. We chose the 2 year option. No not yet. I'm just accepting the eviction it'd be better off. I have yet to just up and leave because obviously due to the divorce I'm paying off stuff and figuring out where to go. The long and short of it is I want to know if since she is legally still on it is there any way I can get her to help pay off what is owed once being evicted? She just up and stopped paying after that but took no time or effort to mention being taken off of said lease or anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">