• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How should I go about this, what attorney do I look for?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FarmerJ

If she is on the lease she has the same obligation to pay rent just like you were to , I suspect her brother and parents appear to have a problem related to feeling entitled SO you may well want to not only move out but before you move out send to the landlord (s) if the house is a different landlord than the mobile home park written letters , in each letter state that you have moved out as of X date ( real paper letter no email or texting) keep a copy of each letter and include your new mailing address and send via confirmed mail delivery . Staple your postal receipt to your copy of the letter. Ask the clerk of the court at the county courthouse how you can keep checking to see if any civil actions are filed against you with a court date.

LdiJ

My now ex wife and I have been in our trailer for 3 years. We recently just finalized our divorce. My name and her name are both on the lease, yet I live here and her mother, father and brother all live her. She moved in with her boyfriend a long while ago. Long story short my track record for paying the rent and such have been perfect. Since the divorce I can't keep up because somehow I became the only provider of the house. I pay for both rents. She does not pay for her portion of anything, neither does her parents or her brother. They each have jobs and can easily afford to help in every way but all the do is order out. I'm currently two months behind on rent and am being served an eviction notice. I informed her whole family to which they just shrugged and said find a solution. Please any suggestion on where to begin with this process would be wonderful, what kind of attorney should I look for, how do I go about this in any way? Since her name is on the lease and her family still lives here she should still be paying and helping her family not just me doing everything.
I would seriously consider moving out and taking my income with me. Yes, it will hurt your credit and could make it difficult for you to rent in the future, but these people are taking serious advantage of you and its not going to stop unless you do something to make your life better.

You can give them notice to move out and then file for eviction if they do not, but that is not going to get you caught up on the rent. Right now they don't owe you anything because you (as their landlord) have not given them any official notice of rent due.

Gail in Georgia

You need to tell your idiot ex-relatives that a filing for an eviction means EVERYONE living there will soon be sitting on the curb with all their belonging scattered around them enjoying the soft summer rain ruining their possessions.

If they do not wish to have this happen they need to fork over the amount of rent due PLUS any late charges PLUS the filing fees so that you can show up in court to request that the order for eviction NOT be granted as you now have the funds to pay what is owed rent-wise.

Gail

FarmerJ

A good outcome for you is that the three of them pony up enough money to settle the eviction suit in court and then after the landlord has been paid , for you to give written notice to them , the landlord and your ex telling them all you are moving out. Your loving ex inlaws and their daughter dearest can act all entitled with each other . AS to you moving out If by chance no one ponies up enough money to settle in court then I would still say just move on and out and live with the wreckage . BTW when is court ? ( if you still move out before court make sure to go and tell the judge you moved out and it is the ex s parents and brother still in occupancy and refused to help pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">