• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How should I handle this situation (divorce finalization)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

[email protected]

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

My ex lied to the court on her bank account balances in a foreign country - Singapore. So I was asked to make payments to her even though she moved our savings into her own bank account without my knowledge (because she was managing our finances). I would like to make an appeal.

She has done many terrible things to me - she called 911 when she saw me driving past her house. She did not let me see the kids on my visitation days. I saw the kids in the library but she used this to file for extension to the restraining order (she said she felt being threatened). She did not let the kids reply to my email while I was out of town for business. She lied on her bank account balance and blew up the amount of money I have. My previous attorney didn't ask her to provide all the bank account information for the last 5 years and I didn't have evidence that she lied on it. So basically the final ruling on the case was done in her great favor.

I couldn't believe that people could take advantage of the system in such an appalling way. I was the one bringing home a sole income for the whole family for so many years, while struggling in the workplace for a survival. Everything started with a plan she made to hurt me. On the first day of school break on June 10, 2015, I was sitting in front of the computer doing programming work as usual, she came in and started complaining about me not talking to her. It was a long story about how our relationship turned sour over the years. But to cut it short, we had been sleeping in different rooms for a few years by then. I didn't realize she wanted to start a fight, so I just challenged her by saying 'we should have ended this relationship long ago'. Then to my surprise, she started yelling at me with 'you *******' and other nasty words. I was provoked and reacted violently. Then she started screaming the B-word even louder to let our neighbors hear it. Anyway, I made a mistake when the police offers came (I was angry so I didn't apologize for the incident but kept telling them what she did to provoke me). So I was arrested.

After the criminal part was settled, I couldn't wait to start filing for a divorce. I thought I tried so hard to do everything for the family yet I was neglected, complained
about, hurt emotionally all these years. On the one hand, I felt pity on her because she didn't have friends, couldn't get along with her colleagues back in Singapore. Even her own father had asked her to move out from his apartment and never wanted to see her again (as she always wanted to win all meaningless debates on trivial things on a regular basis, which made her father very upset). But on the other hand, I was being emotionally hurt during the years. Both of us have done a lot for the family. I am not trying to deny that. But when I was jobless, I was taking care of 3 young kids. She often came back very late from work - with dinner ready for her to eat, kids fed and bathed. But she rarely asked about me. I was ill once and was hospitalized. Her insurance plan allowed me to stay in a class-A ward (in Singapore), which was the case for our kids when they had to use a hospital ward. But to me, she checked me in a ward with 15 other patients. When I asked her about this, she said she 'forgot'. From that moment on, I thought I should not stay in this relationship anymore. But when I see three innocent kids, the decision became emotional. So this thing dragged on until that day.

I know people may have different views and I am not a perfect person either. Now I have lost everything. I wonder do I, a loving father and once loving husband, deserve this? I am looking for advice, ideas, legal assistance, etc. How should I handle all this?

One thought on the bank account information - can I go to Singapore and collect evidence that she has more money than what she claimed she had. Where and how can I get a document that I can bring to the Singapore-based banks and get access to her bank account information? I recently received a notice of garnishment and interrogatories. What should I do to respond to that? Many thoughts are going on at the same time. Forgive me if you find it a little messy. Thank you.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I will only answer the restraining order/visitation issue.

1) Clarify on what you mean by, "reacted violently". And yes, in Iowa it is not surprising that someone was arrested when police responded to a domestic complaint called in by neighbors.

2) When there is a restraining order against you, you follow the restrictions to a T. You go out of your way to do this. No short cuts. No matter how inconvenient. You don't drive on the street they live on. If you glimpse them in a public place, then you do an about face and leave as fast as you can.

3) If she denies visitation, then you go back to court and ask that visitation be enforced.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My ex lied to the court on her bank account balances in a foreign country - Singapore. So I was asked to make payments to her even though she moved our savings into her own bank account without my knowledge (because she was managing our finances). I would like to make an appeal.

She has done many terrible things to me - she called 911 when she saw me driving past her house. She did not let me see the kids on my visitation days. I saw the kids in the library but she used this to file for extension to the restraining order (she said she felt being threatened). She did not let the kids reply to my email while I was out of town for business. She lied on her bank account balance and blew up the amount of money I have. My previous attorney didn't ask her to provide all the bank account information for the last 5 years and I didn't have evidence that she lied on it. So basically the final ruling on the case was done in her great favor.

I couldn't believe that people could take advantage of the system in such an appalling way. I was the one bringing home a sole income for the whole family for so many years, while struggling in the workplace for a survival. Everything started with a plan she made to hurt me. On the first day of school break on June 10, 2015, I was sitting in front of the computer doing programming work as usual, she came in and started complaining about me not talking to her. It was a long story about how our relationship turned sour over the years. But to cut it short, we had been sleeping in different rooms for a few years by then. I didn't realize she wanted to start a fight, so I just challenged her by saying 'we should have ended this relationship long ago'. Then to my surprise, she started yelling at me with 'you *******' and other nasty words. I was provoked and reacted violently. Then she started screaming the B-word even louder to let our neighbors hear it. Anyway, I made a mistake when the police offers came (I was angry so I didn't apologize for the incident but kept telling them what she did to provoke me). So I was arrested.

After the criminal part was settled, I couldn't wait to start filing for a divorce. I thought I tried so hard to do everything for the family yet I was neglected, complained
about, hurt emotionally all these years. On the one hand, I felt pity on her because she didn't have friends, couldn't get along with her colleagues back in Singapore. Even her own father had asked her to move out from his apartment and never wanted to see her again (as she always wanted to win all meaningless debates on trivial things on a regular basis, which made her father very upset). But on the other hand, I was being emotionally hurt during the years. Both of us have done a lot for the family. I am not trying to deny that. But when I was jobless, I was taking care of 3 young kids. She often came back very late from work - with dinner ready for her to eat, kids fed and bathed. But she rarely asked about me. I was ill once and was hospitalized. Her insurance plan allowed me to stay in a class-A ward (in Singapore), which was the case for our kids when they had to use a hospital ward. But to me, she checked me in a ward with 15 other patients. When I asked her about this, she said she 'forgot'. From that moment on, I thought I should not stay in this relationship anymore. But when I see three innocent kids, the decision became emotional. So this thing dragged on until that day.

I know people may have different views and I am not a perfect person either. Now I have lost everything. I wonder do I, a loving father and once loving husband, deserve this? I am looking for advice, ideas, legal assistance, etc. How should I handle all this?

One thought on the bank account information - can I go to Singapore and collect evidence that she has more money than what she claimed she had. Where and how can I get a document that I can bring to the Singapore-based banks and get access to her bank account information? I recently received a notice of garnishment and interrogatories. What should I do to respond to that? Many thoughts are going on at the same time. Forgive me if you find it a little messy. Thank you.
You want to file an "appeal"? On what legal grounds? What mistake of law was made?

As to your questions about legal requirements to access information at a Singapore bank...that is not a US law matter. You would need to contact the folks in Singapore to see what they would require.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">