• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how should we do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mominmiss

What is the name of your state? MS
My ex and I have joint custody.I am moving out of state for my job and we ( all of us ) have decided that my younger child will go with me and my older child will stay with her father. We want to change our custody so that physical custody of the children is clear while maintaining joint legal custody. We will have the usual alternating holiday visitation and split summers and work out the rest. How do we do this?

thanks

N

njmom

suggestions.........

My ex and I have made the same type of agreement, now we only live about 45 minutes from each other, I don't know how far you will be living from your ex. We just made an appointment with a mediator at the local court house, and since we both consented to this arangement, it wasnt a problem. We both still have joint legal custody with one child residing with myself and one residing with the father. He will have both of the children every other weekend and I will have them both every other weekend and if there is a fifth weekend, we just keep the one child that resides with us. We too will keep the same holiday schedule, and split the summer. This is all new to our family, so I cant really say how it will all work, but I can tell you this much, I still have a heartache, because I miss my kid so bad, but this is the decision that the child made, not myself, and I pretty much left the door open, and just made it for the school year and see just how things go!!.......Good Luck and I hope this helps!

M

mominmiss

yes the reason we decided to do this was because my older daughter wants it this way, however, I do think we can make it work. we wont be living close to each other, about 3 hour drive to meet halfway, we have shared custody up to now with the kids being able to stay where they want usually every other week. I dont know how well it will work but all we can do is try. believe it or not my ex and I get along so much better now that we arent married I think it may be do-able

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">